mtbr member
    Oct 2007

recommendations on drivetrain

Iím starting on my first mountain bike build (Salsa Mamasita) and itís time to buy the components. The bike will be used for XC riding, Xterra racing and maybe some endurance races. For the drivetrain Iím looking at XT M760 cranks, X9 rear derailleur and twist shifters, X7 front derailleur, with a SRAM 970 chain and cassette. Am I going to run into any shifting issues? I know it will work, but will it work well? If not, am I better off looking for a different crank set (which would be better: Race Face Dues or Truvativ Stylo) to go with SRAM components or going with a full '07 Shimano XT/LX drivetrain?

No longer 26
    A Mamasita is on my wish list.

How I'd build.

Sram X.7 or X.9 Twist Shifters (whichever grip I liked better)
    Sram Rival or Force Front Der (Force works great on my Supercal and is light)
    Sram X.9 MEDIUM cage Der (or X.0 if $ no object)
    Sram 980 11-34 cassette
    Stylo or XT Crank 2x9 (Bontrager Race with Blackspire 24/36 rings on my Supercal 29er, maybe 26/38 like JHK runs on his Superfly) Your need may vary for a 22 AND a 44 with a full range of gears. With a 36 as your big you only loose the 44-11 abd 44-12 gear ratio but make some of it back with the bigger wheels. I know I needed the low end much more than the high end. I gain log/rock clearance too which is a big plus. Could even go as low as 22/36 if needed but I found the 14 tooth gap is OK but a bit big.

This set up has worked extremelly well on my Supercal 29er and my HT (although I have to use the Deore front der on my XCal HT because it is top pull, I'd go Rival/Force on a Mamasita. A front der is going to cost X so might as well save some weight.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tozamile
    Iím starting on my first mountain bike build (Salsa Mamasita) and itís time to buy the components. The bike will be used for XC riding, Xterra racing and maybe some endurance races. For the drivetrain Iím looking at XT M760 cranks, X9 rear derailleur and twist shifters, X7 front derailleur, with a SRAM 970 chain and cassette. Am I going to run into any shifting issues? I know it will work, but will it work well? If not, am I better off looking for a different crank set (which would be better: Race Face Dues or Truvativ Stylo) to go with SRAM components or going with a full '07 Shimano XT/LX drivetrain?
    get the xt770 crankset it has better rings, I prefer the xt shadow RD, but if youre set on the twisters...

Brant-C.
    looks good to me. i don't think you can go wrong with your component mix.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

I should be studying...
    For starters, if you want grip shift, your better off staying with all Sram components; the X9-X7- is a good mix. I still think the shimano XT bottom swing front deraileur is by far the best performing/price; will work fine with x7 shifters. Same goes for shimano casettes; if you can afford the XT cassette, it is well worth it. The XT crank won't disappoint, but I think over all, the Deus is a better crankset. I built up a bike similarly to yours, check my profile out to see what I did.
    Formerly known as iceaxe