mtbr member

Recommendations for Crank Arms or Even a Ful Crankset Needed!

Ok so this is my bike, a 2002 FSRxc. I haven't had to change a part on it since I bought it which I think is amazing... so now I've started riding again since the weather's been more friendly and the right crank arm has become stripped completely where it holds the bolt for the pedal.

I've already written Specialized and they responded simply with the generic response of 'take it to your bike shop.' However I'm one of those do it yourself guys so I'd prefer to buy my own parts on eBay, or online and do the work myself.

So my question those of you with experience is: can I get away with buying just a set of new crank arms or should I just buy a new crankset? I'm a full time student so money's kind of tight but I don't mind spending more for better quality parts. Because I have ridden the bike so much, and this being the first real maintenance I've had to do I'm thinking that it could be just the beginning of a series of replacement parts I'll be buying.

So what do you all recommend? If I were to buy new crank arms, or even a completely new crankset how do I know which ones will fit?

According to Specialized this is my current setup:

CRANKSET:
    Specialized Forearm II Sport

BOTTOM BRACKET:
    Shimano BB-LP-28, square taper, e-type , 113 x 68mm

Thanks for your time!

That's my name
    Quote Originally Posted by B.C.
    So my question those of you with experience is: can I get away with buying just a set of new crank arms or should I just buy a new crankset?

If your chainrings aren't too worn and your bottom bracket is still ok (as well as the chain and cassette), you should still be able to find replacement cranks.
    I found a set here on Ebay that includes chainrings for only $15!! At that price you could get a new chain while you are at it and maybe a cassette.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    You want a whole new crankset. You could replace the arms but it'll probably cost the same. How much you looking to spend? Also, if your chainrings are really worn, you may need to replace your chain and cassette.

If you want to learn to do it yourself, read here:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
    Specifically the sections on bottom brackets and cranks.

Some good online sites for parts:
    www.jensonusa.com
    www.supergo.com
    www.performancebike.com
    www.nashbar.com
    www.pricepoint.com
    www.cambriabike.com

Another option is to repair the thread in your crank with a helicoil.
    http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil/Default1.htm

That's my name
    Here is another set of crankarms, you should be able to swap them straight over.
    How much of an issue is money anyway? Like tlg said, a new crankset, chain, cassette and even BB is the way to go, but if money is tight, it won't be cheap. I've been in similar situations so i know what it's like, sometimes it just isn't possible to do it all at once.
    Maybe you could go for those $15 arms (or the $44 ones) and then start saving for a complete upgrade later on.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Cheapest solution

If you're truly short on cash, and your crankset is actually fine other than the stripped pedal insert, this may be one of those times you want to use the LBS. A well-equipped bike shop will have a pedal thread repair tool that can repair the threads on your existing crankset, kinda like a heli-coil. The tool itself is a pricey investment at ~$70, but the threaded inserts are only like a buck apiece, plus a minimum labor charge.
    - Joe