mtbr member
    May 2009

Recommend 9sp Rear Der?

What mid-price 9 speed der should I go for? Planning to go to 9 from 8 next year. I'm currently running 2x8 but plan to go to 1x9 so medium cage (in case I go back to 2x in the future). Want easy set-up, reliable, won't break super easy- I was looking at the Sram x7 but a review said part of it is plastic...?

Looking at Shimano XT M772 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Derailleur, found one site that has the medium length in stock.

Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    What mid-price 9 speed der should I go for? Planning to go to 9 from 8 next year. I'm currently running 2x8 but plan to go to 1x9 so medium cage (in case I go back to 2x in the future). Want easy set-up, reliable, won't break super easy- I was looking at the Sram x7 but a review said part of it is plastic...?

Looking at Shimano XT M772 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Derailleur, found one site that has the medium length in stock.

Thanks!
    Remeber that when whichever brand RD you go for (SRAM or Shimano) you need to the a shifter from them, too. So that should factor into the equation.

I would go as much by which shifters do you like better to decide what brand.

As far as SRAM goes, I have x7, x9, and have spent time on X0. Honestly, they all work very well (shifters and RD's), there are differences, but IMO they are pretty subtle in terms of practical benefit.

I have a short cage X9 on a 2x9 setup (22/32 up front, 11-34 cassette) works fine. Worst case scenario, you loose the small/small combo.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    7-9 speed use the same derailleur, you can keep yours. Or Deore M592, SLX M662, or XT M772 Shadow series are awesome. Many SRAM RDR's have plastic or carbon, they seem to hold up well, but I prefer Shimano.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The only expericnce I have is with Sram X4 rear der which came off my first bike. I've had no issues with it. Smae with the shifter. I'd like to upgrade to something that would be a little better but because I am also upgrading brakes, I wanted to save a little $ where I can.

What's the biggest difference in shifting quality from Sram & Shimano? I was thinking of trying Shimano but most of the RDR's I looked at on Universal Cycles were only available as long cage.

mtbr member
    Your X-4 will also work with 9 speed, I am running one with X-5 / X7 shifters. 8/9 speed use the same size cassette on the hub, the spacing between gears is different.
    Many will say Shimano is smoother, SRAM is more crisp. I think with the Shadow series, they are more similar today. Shimano can be thumb/Thumb and Thumb/pointer finger for shifting. As you already know, SRAM is Thumb/Thumb.
    Jenson has a Med cage XT on special today for less than $60 if you want to proceed with the upgrade.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    The only expericnce I have is with Sram X4 rear der which came off my first bike. I've had no issues with it. Smae with the shifter. I'd like to upgrade to something that would be a little better but because I am also upgrading brakes, I wanted to save a little $ where I can.

What's the biggest difference in shifting quality from Sram & Shimano? I was thinking of trying Shimano but most of the RDR's I looked at on Universal Cycles were only available as long cage.

SRAM does have a better shift feel than the Shimanos. The downshifts (shifting from small to big cog) are clear and well defined and you get a reassuring click. The key in both is to set it up correctly from the get go, however compared side to side, the SRAM 1:1 actuations win hands down.

Front derailleur wise, I'd recommend Shimanos. They are compatible with SRAM front shifters so no big deal. If you get the opportunity to find a clean Shimano XTR FD-M952 ($20-$40 on ebay) those are probably the best front 9-speed front derailleurs around.

-S

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If my X4 will work with a 9sp cass then I'll stick with it until it dies. Will grab a X7 shifter/chain/11-34 cass. My local trails are on hills so once I'm in the big cogs, I stay there so not a lot of shifting on my rides.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Since the rest of your compatibility questions have already been answered, I'll say this:

If you're not planning on ever cross-chaining in your small/small combo when running a double, you can go ahead and use a short cage derailleur. It's nice that SRAM offers short cage derailleurs and you'll have no problems running an 11-34 9spd cassette on a short cage 9spd derailleur but it'll bunch up on the smaller cogs out back if you run a granny ring.

Most people who run setups like this (or even short cage ders on a triple) just learn to live with it and get out of the granny ring as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    I have used (and do use) SRAM and Shimano. At this time, I'd go with Shimano. SLX is pretty good right now and affordably priced. There are some things I greatly love about SRAM, but durability and ease of service are no longer among them. (Take this as just another person's opinion.)
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    7-9 speed use the same derailleur, you can keep yours.
    Right, good point.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.