mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Rebuild - Service Bebop pedals?

I want to rebuild a set of Bebop pedals and would like some info on what is the best way to remove both bearings inside without destroying them.

I removed everything else inside already, but want to know if I need to get a rebuild kit prior to proceeding or if there is a simple way to remove the bearings carefully as they might not need replacement just cleaning and greasing, or there is no way of saving the bearings and once removed they must be replaced?

Thanks in advance for your input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    anyone.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry, not what you were looking for, but I have the exact same question. I have some of the original-style pedals (before they were licensed to the company selling them now) which I bought second-hand on Ebay several years ago. The pedals take a fair bit of force to spin. They're still rideable, but I can't imagine they were this stiff originally.

I'm wondering if I can just clean everything thoroughly and repack with new grease. I can't feel any unevenness in the pedal motion, so the bearings might be fine--just too viscous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you bought them used and have been using them chances are it is time for a rebuild kit. The kit is cheap and with the right tools it's not hard to do.

Either email them or PM me your email and I will forward you the how to service them properly. For some reason the directions are in an image I having trouble copying and pasting here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I will buy the rebuild kit just in case. How freely should the pedals spin when "new"? Will they spin more than one revolution with a single flick? (Mine stop as soon as my finger leaves the pedal.)

Rats, I joined the forum just to reply to your thread and I can't send any PMs until I have 15 posts. My addr is hKauFnma (AT) kQetVeuDorPg. Just delete all of the capital letters, and insert the single dot where appropriate in what's left. Thanks! Do the directions you're referring to come with the rebuild kit?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok, I have the rebuild kit. No instructions. Is it "obvious" what to do once I open up the pedals?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pp-tso View Post
    If you bought them used and have been using them chances are it is time for a rebuild kit. The kit is cheap and with the right tools it's not hard to do.

Either email them or PM me your email and I will forward you the how to service them properly. For some reason the directions are in an image I having trouble copying and pasting here.
    I can't PM as I'm a new member with a post-count < 10. Can you send me the instructions? I've gotten as far as removing the dustcap, circlip, spindle and dust seal. I don't see how to remove the old bearings: they don't just slide out.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by mark05 View Post
    I will buy the rebuild kit just in case. How freely should the pedals spin when "new"? Will they spin more than one revolution with a single flick? (Mine stop as soon as my finger leaves the pedal.)

Rats, I joined the forum just to reply to your thread and I can't send any PMs until I have 15 posts. My addr is hKauFnma (AT) kQetVeuDorPg. Just delete all of the capital letters, and insert the single dot where appropriate in what's left. Thanks! Do the directions you're referring to come with the rebuild kit?

Hi All,

I have the same problem like everybody. Bought the rebuild kit but don't know how to replace the bearings. Can anybody that have received the instructions please forward them to me. Would be greatly appreciated.

My address is: xKbeFrZta1 (AT) sQunVriDse.cPh
    Just delete all of the capital letters and there you are.

thanks in advance for your kind help, highly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The pedal should spin freely when you flick it. You can sometimes correct a sticky pedal by dribbling light machine oil on the inner dust seal and patiently turning the pedal for a few minutes. If there are signs of corrosion on the pedal, WD40 may be useful to spray on (and wiped off) before applying the oil.

I contacted VPOne, which now markets Bebop pedals. They sent me instructions for installing the rebuild kit. It involves using 9 mm and 11.5 mm diameter punches to drive out the old cartridge bearings from the pedal body in order to install the new bearings (my comments in square brackets).

1. Remove the dust cap [Don't worry about mangling the old ones because the rebuild kit includes new dust caps.]
    2. Remove the axle retaining screw using a Phillips bit in an air tool or electric drill with a clutch then remove the axle. [The screw is extremely tight. If you're not careful you can mangle the slots in the head to where you will need a screw extractor tool to get the screw out.]
    3. Remove the oil seal
    4. Remove the circlip [You may need a special circlip tool from a hardware store to be able to pinch the ends of the clip together close enough to free it from the pedal, and to install the new circlip.]
    5. Drive out the outer ball bearing using a 9 mm diameter punch
    6. Drive out the inner roller bearing using an 11.5 mm diameter punch
    7. Flush out and completely clean the axle cavity
    8. Press in the new inner roller bearing ensuring that the seal is to the outside of the pedal
    9. Press in the new outer ball bearing
    10. Fit the new oil seal
    11. Install the new circlip
    12. Grease the axle cavity with a high grade bicycle grease
    13. Fit the axle and remove any grease from around the screw hole
    14. Install the retaining screw using a Phillips bit in an air tool or electric drill with a clutch. Make sure to avoid getting grease on the screw during installation
    15. Fit the dust cap

Quote Originally Posted by xberta View Post
    Hi All,

I have the same problem like everybody. Bought the rebuild kit but don't know how to replace the bearings. Can anybody that have received the instructions please forward them to me. Would be greatly appreciated.

My address is: xKbeFrZta1 (AT) sQunVriDse.cPh
    Just delete all of the capital letters and there you are.

thanks in advance for your kind help, highly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkypants View Post
    The pedal should spin freely when you flick it. You can sometimes correct a sticky pedal by dribbling light machine oil on the inner dust seal and patiently turning the pedal for a few minutes. If there are signs of corrosion on the pedal, WD40 may be useful to spray on (and wiped off) before applying the oil.

I contacted VPOne, which now markets Bebop pedals. They sent me instructions for installing the rebuild kit. It involves using 9 mm and 11.5 mm diameter punches to drive out the old cartridge bearings from the pedal body in order to install the new bearings (my comments in square brackets).

1. Remove the dust cap [Don't worry about mangling the old ones because the rebuild kit includes new dust caps.]
    2. Remove the axle retaining screw using a Phillips bit in an air tool or electric drill with a clutch then remove the axle. [The screw is extremely tight. If you're not careful you can mangle the slots in the head to where you will need a screw extractor tool to get the screw out.]
    3. Remove the oil seal
    4. Remove the circlip [You may need a special circlip tool from a hardware store to be able to pinch the ends of the clip together close enough to free it from the pedal, and to install the new circlip.]
    5. Drive out the outer ball bearing using a 9 mm diameter punch
    6. Drive out the inner roller bearing using an 11.5 mm diameter punch
    7. Flush out and completely clean the axle cavity
    8. Press in the new inner roller bearing ensuring that the seal is to the outside of the pedal
    9. Press in the new outer ball bearing
    10. Fit the new oil seal
    11. Install the new circlip
    12. Grease the axle cavity with a high grade bicycle grease
    13. Fit the axle and remove any grease from around the screw hole
    14. Install the retaining screw using a Phillips bit in an air tool or electric drill with a clutch. Make sure to avoid getting grease on the screw during installation
    15. Fit the dust cap
    Hi,
    thank you very much for your help. I'll need to buy the 9 and 11,5 mm punch tools and then give it a try. Hope it works, as my ball bearings were actually broken. That's why I need to replace

thanks again and all the best

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by xberta View Post
    Hi,thank you very much for your help. I'll need to buy the 9 and 11,5 mm punch tools and then give it a try. Hope it works, as my ball bearings were actually broken. That's why I need to replacethanks again and all the best
    xberta, how did you get on with replacing the bearings? I've just tried to do mine but the outer casing of the inner bearing (the larger one) has fused to the pedal casing and I canít budge it. Apart from cutting and grinding it out, which I'm not keen on doing in case I damage the pedal, I don't know what else to do? Not keen on forking out for new pedals. I must say I'm slightly disappointed that they have failed this dramatically after only 9 months of light use!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

No good Bebop Replacement Kit

Quote Originally Posted by mr_fish View Post
    xberta, how did you get on with replacing the bearings? I've just tried to do mine but the outer casing of the inner bearing (the larger one) has fused to the pedal casing and I canít budge it. Apart from cutting and grinding it out, which I'm not keen on doing in case I damage the pedal, I don't know what else to do? Not keen on forking out for new pedals. I must say I'm slightly disappointed that they have failed this dramatically after only 9 months of light use!!
    Hi and sorry for late reply.

I didn't succeed in replacing mine neither . I am actually today taking it to a pro shop to punch the bearings out. Hope he will be able to make it. Luckely I had an other pair of pedals to use (I have actually 4 of'em) .

I believe however that it needs to appropriate tools to make it. Without it, just buy new pedals....this said, the tools are probably more expensive then new pedals, thus, just go for new ones.

My pedals however, hold much longer. The pair that broke was lasting 6-7 years and approx. 35,000 miles