Your killing my Strava

Rear XTR hunting between gears

It started today. As I am pedaling the rear derailer hunts between gears without me touching any of the shifters. Like it wants to shift and then goes back. It usally only happens pedaling hard. Is there an adjustment, or something I can check?

neutiquam erro
    Full suspension bike? The suspension bob under heavy pedaling is causing near-ghost shifts, I'd guess. Check cable/housing condition (in good shape?), and then check cable tension.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Full suspension bike? The suspension bob under heavy pedaling is causing near-ghost shifts, I'd guess. Check cable/housing condition (in good shape?), and then check cable tension.

Cheers, Chris
    Yes full suspension..it is a 07 Stumpjumper. The bike has maybe 300 miles on it. Would it be to much tension? to little?

i am, therefore, i ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    Check cable/housing condition (in good shape?), and then check cable tension.......
    More than likely, cable tension. Turn your tensioner a quarter of a turn clockwise or counter-clockwise.

neutiquam erro
    CCW should increase tension, and CW should release tension. 1/4 turns are key, as nico said.

Scroll down to "Index Setting" in this article from Park Tool for more info.

But do make sure the cables and housings aren't mucked up either. I think that Speshy model still has the under-BB cable routing, so keep on eye on that to make sure it's not getting gunked up.

Cheers, Chris

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    with that few miles Im guessing that the cables have stretched a bit, follow the above advise and fine tune the cables

Your killing my Strava
    Is the cable adjustment that critical? Only 1/4 turn. Thats very sensetive

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnyl26
    Yes, wait & see! A 1/4 turn the right direction can make all the difference in the world. When you make the adjustments (like how the Park guide steps you thru), have your bike in a stand or someway to suspend the back wheel off the ground as you work. Then, you'll definitely be able to hear the difference a 1/4 turn can make as you hand-turn the cranks and shift - well, when you are at that fine-tuning stage anyway. 1/4 turns aren't going to fix gross tension errors.

Cheers, Chris

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    how far do you think the cable moves when you shift?

Your killing my Strava
    **********UPDATE******************
    After screwing around with the cable adjustments to no end I took a step back and relooked at things. Low and behold I found it, It turns out 1 on the links are the chain is frozen. I can piviot it but it is very tight and wont go back. What I was feeling was the chain skip. I have the chain soaking in WD40 to break up all the crude but I dont know I have a feeling the link may be ruined. How much is a new chain? What do you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    **********UPDATE******************
    After screwing around with the cable adjustments to no end I took a step back and relooked at things. Low and behold I found it, It turns out 1 on the links are the chain is frozen. I can piviot it but it is very tight and wont go back. What I was feeling was the chain skip. I have the chain soaking in WD40 to break up all the crude but I dont know I have a feeling the link may be ruined. How much is a new chain? What do you guys recommend?
    Grab the tight link and start bending it back and forth sideways. Like, bend it the way it's not supposed to bend. Go slowly and carefully. This might loosen it up just enough. This has worked for me many times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is it a Shimano chain? The stiff link has happened to me when I didn't put the pin in properly.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I was going to say stiff link because I had the same thing happen

if you can't loosen the link by bending the chain back and forth, then go ahead and buy another chain and keep your current one as an emergency back up if you can loosen the link at all

don't mess with popping links given the 20 bucks for a new chain

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by baitdragger
    I was going to say stiff link because I had the same thing happen

if you can't loosen the link by bending the chain back and forth, then go ahead and buy another chain and keep your current one as an emergency back up if you can loosen the link at all

don't mess with popping links given the 20 bucks for a new chain
    Yea thats what I think I am going to do. I have tried, I cant loosen that damn thing up

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Yea thats what I think I am going to do. I have tried, I cant loosen that damn thing up
    just pop off the bad link and add a quick link

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    More than likely, cable tension. Turn your tensioner a quarter of a turn clockwise or counter-clockwise.
    I suppose this is one of those things that SRAM bashers are always putting SRAM fans to task for when we cite the robustness of 1:1 actuation ratio.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    I suppose this is one of those things that SRAM bashers are always putting SRAM fans to task for when we cite the robustness of 1:1 actuation ratio.
    thats funny
    only its usually sram owners bashing shimano for supposed failings (like 1:1)

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    thats funny
    only its usually sram owners bashing shimano for supposed failings (like 1:1)
    Nah, it's usually Shimano owners telling us that XTR always shifts perfect and there is no need for 1:1 actuation ratio as it is only purpose was to make up for supposedly crappy SRAM shifters. When I say "cable slop" I get "waddaya mean". The above is one of the things we mean.