mtbr member

Rear shifting problem, goes from 3rd smallest to smallest cog, skips 2nd smallest

Not sure when it started but I've found that I can't shift into the 2nd smallest cog. When downshifting it goes from the 3rd smallest to smallest, visa-versa for upshifting. Doesn't matter what the front ring is. H and L limit screws are set per the instructions on Park Tools website. Any ideas??
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

What have you done to check cable tension or housing/cable condition?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Make sure your hanger is not bent.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    try loosening the barrel adjuster ( big knob on shifter where cable enters) 1/2 turn, make sure you pull outward while turning, if it gets better you can turn another half turn, if it gets worse go the other way (tighten)
    check for bent teeth on cogs
    check for bent hanger

mtbr member
    I have checked the cable tension. Adjusting it hasn't helped or, if I adjusted enough so that it did, it had a negative effect(jumping cogs, chattering, etc) when shifted to the other cogs.

I haven't checked the cable or housing condition carefully but there's nothing obvious that stands out. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

The hanger doesn't look to be obviously bent, but I did notice that it looks like it doesn't hang straight down, kind of kicked in a few millimeters. It's barely noticable though, and I kind of figured I was imagining it. Would being "bent" this small of an amount have that much of an effect on the derailleur performance? Also, and I know this is probably a dumb question, but are derailleur hangers universal or do they vary bike to bike? I figure I'll try replacing it and see what happens. Worst case I have a spare.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E
    I have checked the cable tension. Adjusting it hasn't helped or, if I adjusted enough so that it did, it had a negative effect(jumping cogs, chattering, etc) when shifted to the other cogs.

I haven't checked the cable or housing condition carefully but there's nothing obvious that stands out. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

The hanger doesn't look to be obviously bent, but I did notice that it looks like it doesn't hang straight down, kind of kicked in a few millimeters. It's barely noticeable though, and I kind of figured I was imagining it. Would being "bent" this small of an amount have that much of an effect on the dérailleur performance? Also, and I know this is probably a dumb question, but are dérailleur hangers universal or do they vary bike to bike? I figure I'll try replacing it and see what happens. Worst case I have a spare.
    that could definitely be the problem, you can buy a hanger straightener for about $40 or your shop should have one, hangers are specific to the bike. if you have a spare pop it on and see

Dirt Deviant
    I bet it is the hanger. A few mm is quite alot for it to be bent. Most of the time when a bike is doing what you describe, I straighten the hanger, and it is 100%.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I replaced the cable after noticing that it was slightly bent in one spot but that didn't help. After looking again I found that the H limit screw was almost completely unscrewed, this was the only way I could actually get onto the smallest cog. I'm guessing this means the derailleur is too close to the cogs when there's no tension on the cable. So, it probably isn't my imagination that the hanger is bent inward just a bit. Now I just need to get a new hanger or have it straightend. Hopefully that will solve the problem. At least all the other gears seem to work fine so it's not too big a deal.