banned

Rear Shifting Hell....Solutions?

Lately ive been having lots of problems with my drivetrain. the latest problem to arise is that when moving along without pedaling the chain seems to be "sticking" to the cogs or the rear der. In any case, the hub does not seem to be moving freely as it should and making its regular smooth sound as it should but rather in bursts while the chain catches on and releases under pressure. This is happening in any ring so its not because one is worn out i think....
    It also seems like the rear der cable is unwinding on its own since ive been having to adjust it several times during each ride, specially after the bumpy parts and drops.

What gives? How do i fix these problemos?

Riding a 575 with RF Deus cranks + AJs frameguard, XTR short cage der, XTR chain (broke 3 times already in a week!)
    Last edited by jaco; 01-08-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Sounds more like a freehub malfunction. If it's a Shimano hub you can replace the freehub mechanism rather easily, the part is around 30 bucks. That chain breaking a bunch could be partly your chain-breaking/repairing skills...are you using the correct Shimano replacement chain pin when you repair the chain? Review your skills at parktool or sheldonbrown sites.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Sounds more like a freehub malfunction. If it's a Shimano hub you can replace the freehub mechanism rather easily, the part is around 30 bucks. That chain breaking a bunch could be partly your chain-breaking/repairing skills...are you using the correct Shimano replacement chain pin when you repair the chain? Review your skills at parktool or sheldonbrown sites.
    Hope XC...thnx for the sites

MTB B'dos
    Sounds like you have a problem with your freehub. How old are your hubs? they might need servicing. Easiest way to check the freehub is to take the wheel off the bike and try spinning the gears backwards, if it gives trouble, doesn't spin smoothly, stops abrutly etc. then it's the freehub and it needs servicing of replacing depending on how bad it is.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

"...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    right on ze moniz...turned out to be a broken axle and rotor body. Right now it looks like a new hub is in my future....

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    right on ze moniz...turned out to be a broken axle and rotor body. Right now it looks like a new hub is in my future....
    That's sucks, Wouldn't have even thought that you might have broken an axle on a HOPE hub Let know how this progresses. What were you doing to manage this or are you a bit heavy for those hubs? I manged to break 2 axles on my 1st bike using crappy formula hubs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    That's sucks, Wouldn't have even thought that you might have broken an axle on a HOPE hub Let know how this progresses. What were you doing to manage this or are you a bit heavy for those hubs? I manged to break 2 axles on my 1st bike using crappy formula hubs.
    great product..have absolutely nothing bad to say. they lasted aorund 2 years. im not easy on equipment with the numerous drops every ride and im in the 190lbs range so that might be it..im either gonna get replacement parts or go with either hope bulb, hope pro 2 (dont know the diff between these two) or hadleys...