mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Rear shifter not changing gears

I was on the bike the other day and every thing was working fine. Now when I try to change the (rear) gears nothing happens. The cable is still attaced at both ends. I tightened both side up and still nothing.

Any one know what this might be?

~Disc~Golf~
    sticky shifter pod?
    sticky cable housing?
    not pedaling/ missing chain?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Maybe your cable slipped at the anchor bolt? Could be lots of things, as your description and analysis aren't helping. Might want to go to parktool.com and review derailleur setup/adjustment (and cable/housing, too).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    coupla questions.
    Is the RD stuck in a low, middle or high gear?, Do you feel resistance when you move the lever?, if the gear wire is exposed along the frame, is it tight or slack?

Try to determine if the RD itself is stuck or the cable. Try to shift by pushing the lower section in or out directly and see if it shifts and springs back.

Next try to shift by pulling the bare wire away from the frame. The RD should shift, and spring back when you let go.

If things are fine with the RD, suspect that either the cable is sticking in the housing, or possible the wire is broken up at the head in the lever, and slipped most of the way through.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    coupla questions.
    Is the RD stuck in a low, middle or high gear?, Do you feel resistance when you move the lever?, if the gear wire is exposed along the frame, is it tight or slack?
    --- No resistance while moving lever. Wire appears to be tight
    Try to determine if the RD itself is stuck or the cable. Try to shift by pushing the lower section in or out directly and see if it shifts and springs back.

Next try to shift by pulling the bare wire away from the frame. The RD should shift, and spring back when you let go.

If things are fine with the RD, suspect that either the cable is sticking in the housing, or possible the wire is broken up at the head in the lever, and slipped most of the way through.
    This seem to be the problem. How would I fix a broken wire in the lever?

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by thehogsters
    This seem to be the problem. How would I fix a broken wire in the lever?
    You need to get into the shifter. If there's no resistance and you can't just pull the cable out of the shifter, then the shift mechanism is faulty. When the internal grease gets old or hardens in low temperatures the teeth in the mechanism can not grab onto each other and they skip, causing the problem you're describing.

You could try a light lube and see where that gets you. Remove the cable cap (the little plastic grub screw on the side of the shifter) and spray some light oil in there; then work the shift lever back and forth a few times.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think my shifter is history.
    Can I use a 9sp shifter when I only have 7 or 8 in the back?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thehogsters
    I think my shifter is history.
    Can I use a 9sp shifter when I only have 7 or 8 in the back?

Technically, it is possible. Practically, I would not do it.