mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Rear Shifter Barrel Adjustments

I've been on parktools and youtube looking at rear derailleur adjustments and they never mention adjustment on the shiter, tension setting is only done at the derailleur

just to satisfy my own curiousity, if i were to replace the cable, what is a good starting point to set the shifter barrel adjuster during replacement as well as on the derailleur?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    One turn out always works for me. They work the same, their location is the only difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    I've been on parktools and youtube looking at rear derailleur adjustments and they never mention adjustment on the shiter, tension setting is only done at the derailleur

just to satisfy my own curiousity, if i were to replace the cable, what is a good starting point to set the shifter barrel adjuster during replacement as well as on the derailleur?
    I would hope they wouldnt talk about adjustments while on the shiter...

If you are talking about pre-adjusting the deraileur before installing the cable, there is no good starting point that I know of. You do want to have a turn or so out on at least one of the barrel adjusters to leave some adjustment in the event the cable is pulled too tight.

But with new cables you will probably experience some cable stretch so you may not need/ want the extra adjustment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Historically the adjuster was on the RD - Higher end newer mountain RD's don't have these - to reduce the profile improve cable routing etc. they've moved it to the shifter - If you have both I would start with them them both wound in then back them both out 1/2 or 1 full turn; then do the fine tuning on the one at the RD you can use the shifter one for adjusting on the fly as the cable settles in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I always thought the one on the shifter was for on the fly.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.