mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rear Mech Hangers

I was just curious as to why rear mech hangers are just not built into the frame of bikes.. is it a safety or a strength thing, I just have no idea after a few internet searching hours to find one for a new frame I've got where the frame is new in terms of ownership but old in terms of when it left the makers.. after all hangers are frame specific designed so why not just build it in? Anyway, I got one in the end..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes - AL and carbon frames have rear der hangers for safety - they are made
    of soft material to protect frame.

mtbr member
    You want a hanger to bend or break when the rear derailleur is hit to possibly save the derailleur or frame from being destroyed, either of which is most likely much more expensive than a replacement hanger. Therefore the hanger becomes a wear item of sorts, something purposefully designed to be a weak link that can be replaced with little hassle. As vanamees pointed out, this becomes even more important with carbon and aluminum, materials that don't like to bend too much without cracking and that are hard and sometimes impossible to repair properly when they do break.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Okay, that all makes good sense when I listen to what you are saying ... thanks..