mtbr member
    Mar 2005

New question here. rear hub/freewheel problems, looking for advice

Before I start taking things apart, I was hoping I could get some guidance on a problem I'm having with my rear hub/freewheel/cassette.

Basically the problems are:
    Whenever I coast my cassette makes a rubbing noise and it catches ever so slightly on the hub causing the chain to go slack and start falling off the chainrings. While taking a first look at the problem I noticed that if I back peddle my cranks the freewheel will grab a little and start spinning the rear wheel. I should tell you that I did replace my cassette about a month ago, following the Park tool instructions and tips from the guys at the LBS.

I think it's obviously a problem with the freewheel/hub but I was hoping to get a second opinion before going to the LBS. Also, how difficult is it to rebuild a hub? or should I just replace it? it's a Deore. If I do this myself I will have to re-lace my rim, how difficult is that?

I'm just starting to do my own repairs but I will buy what few tools I don't already have, and I've worked for years as tool and machine builder so I'm not afraid to jump in and start working.
    Last edited by ol' Dirt McGert; 05-26-2005 at 10:34 AM. Reason: cleaning up a badly worded sentance

Sounds like your freehub body is indeed having problems (if you have a cassette you don't have a freewheel type hub). It might simply need some cleaning and lube, for which you can get a Morningstar Freehub Buddy too to lube it, which may or may not solve your problem. You can also simply replace the freehub body without rebuilding your wheel (the part is about $20 for a Deore if I remember correctly). Either way if you do the work yourself you will need cone wrenches to take the hub apart and deal with loose hub bearings to get at the freehub bolt, a 10mm hex.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    hehe, yeah freehub, that's what it's called, doh!!

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't state that correctly anyways, as you can have a cassette on a freewheel type hub, it mounts differently (threads on instead of sliding on over the freehub body).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique