mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Rear Derauiller Help

I just put a brand new X-9 Derauiller along with a brand new 2011 version of the X-7 9- speed shifter on my Santa Cruz Heckler. It also has a brand new HG61 Shimano 9-speed cassette and a brand new 9-speed KMC chain.

I set the B-screw at 6mm clearance on the large rear cog with the chain removed.

I adjusted both limit screws and that is the only thing that seems to be working correctly.

I have adjusted the tension on the cable and the barrell adjuster a number of times using the Park Tool Blue Book as an instruction guide.

I simply cannot get the thing to shift correctly. If I adjust it where the first 3 or 4 gears shift correctly, the higher gears either will not shift or the chain will not ride on the gear evenly. If I adjust it where the higher gears are more satisfactory, then the lower gears do the same thing
    I have a brand new crankset, Shimano SLX 22/36/Bash, on the front but I still have the 3-speed shifter and derauiller (both brand new), so I am not trying to shift the front, I am trying to use the front like a single speed using the middle 36 tooth chain ring until I can get the rear to shift correctly, then I will either go to a single speed 32-tooth on the front or buy a 2-speed front shifter and derauiller to replace the 3-speed that are on it now.

There was some wear on the freehub body (notches from the previous cassette), but I filed all the burrs off and the casette slips on and off without a problem.

What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Did you buy a 10sp derailleur by any chance??
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Ride Responsibly
    Did you remove any extra links on the chain?
    Can you make all the shifts by pulling on the cable?
    A derailleur moves in increments determined by the shifter, so a 10 speed derailleur would work but not a 10 speed shifter.

"I set the B-screw at 6mm clearance on the large rear cog with the chain removed."
    I think the chain has to be on to set this "B" screw.
    Last edited by LWright; 11-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No Sirs, the derauiller and shifter are both 9-speed, and both are brand new. The shifter is an X7 that was made in the 42nd week of 2010, which is supposed to be the Zero Loss shifter. The derauiller is a 2011 X9 Long Cage. I can't get it to shift correctly by pulling the cable by hand or by using the shift lever.
    The way I sized the chain was putting the chain on the 36 tooth front ring (outer ring is a bash) and on the big rear cog without going through the derauiller. I then added two links (3 pins).

I will re-set the B-screw with the chain in place.

Is there any chance that the wear in the freehub is causing this? It is a Chris King hub and the wear was significant, but I filed ALL the burrs off and the fit of the cassette felt to me like it was OK.

Ride Responsibly
    Maybe a bent hanger?

Tool
    Just back the b-screw out until it shifts correctly. Those are the classic Sram symptoms of too much b-screw tension. You'll have nearly zero time investment if it doesn't work.

On my XO derailleur I had to back the screw 80% of the way out before it shifted correctly. I've never measured the gap, but it's not too close to the cassette and shifts perfectly.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Check your hanger. I usually set the pulley around 4-5mm from the cassette, and have no issues with it. What you are describing is a classic example of messed up hanger (shifts fine in some gears, poorly in others)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Another way to check for a bent hanger is to see if it shifts differently on the cassette while in different chainrings. This doesn't really work on Shimano Shadow RDs or where the upper pulley doesn't move at all when shifting chainrings.

The reason this happens is because if the upper pulley moves, it rotates around the upper pivot where it's attached to the hanger. If this is off axis, the upper pulley moves laterally along the cassette a very slight amount, and changes the indexing.

Shifting the front is kind of like a quick B screw change on derailleurs that have the more classic design. With the Shadow design, the position of the upper pulley is only controlled with the B screw, which works very well.

You need a special, large, and fairly pricey tool to check alignment precisely, but it's a pretty cheap service in a shop.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    your hanger is misaligned... even frame could be bent slightly, hanger could be tweaked, even dirt under the hanger could be an issue... either go to your local shop or just buy the tool.. (personally, the tool pays for it's self in no time)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ......... (personally, the tool pays for it's self in no time)
    +1 on that.....the tools that align the dropouts is another one like that---used them both quite a lot when I used to crash on regular basis. But I don't take much convincing to go out and buy tools.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    None of the bike shops close to where I live has the derauiller alignment guage, so I ordered it off the internet. Probably won't have it for a week or two. What I ordered is the Park Tool DAG-2.

In the mean time, I will dink around with the b-screw adjustment and see what happens. I actually have a new derauiller hanger coming direct from Santa Cruz that should be here in a few days, so I may as well install it and see if that is what is going on. I won't be able to tell if the frame is tweeked until I get the Park Tool I ordered.

I am a tool nut anyway, so I usually just buy what I need. I hate relying on a shop if I can figure out how to do it myself.

Thanks, Guys,

Wayne

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Meuir View Post
    None of the bike shops close to where I live has the derauiller alignment guage, so I ordered it off the internet. Probably won't have it for a week or two. What I ordered is the Park Tool DAG-2.

In the mean time, I will dink around with the b-screw adjustment and see what happens. I actually have a new derauiller hanger coming direct from Santa Cruz that should be here in a few days, so I may as well install it and see if that is what is going on. I won't be able to tell if the frame is tweeked until I get the Park Tool I ordered.

I am a tool nut anyway, so I usually just buy what I need. I hate relying on a shop if I can figure out how to do it myself.

Thanks, Guys,

Wayne
    don't toss the old hanger.. even if the new one fixes it... just slap it on the frame, straighten it.. then save for the next time just note than often times a new hanger may not sit straight as the frame often times gets tweaked a tad so double check with the tool....
    also.. one thing people don't think of... CLEAN the face and around where the hanger mounts on the frame... can't tell ya how many people just screw a new one in, dirt gets under it and throws it out..
    I gotz a goofy vid on using the hanger tool... I did it on "ghost" shifting but still applies to you most likely..
    Trail Tire TV: Fix ghost shifting
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How the hell can a shop not have a hanger alignment tool? Tell those fools to get one. I dunno how they expect to fix half of the bikes that shift poorly without it.

Even if you install a new hanger you should check it's alignment with the tool. Just cause the hanger came out of the factory straight doesn't mean it will be straight when screwed into the frame, and with a wheel clamping it in.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanik View Post
    How the hell can a shop not have a hanger alignment tool? Tell those fools to get one. I dunno how they expect to fix half of the bikes that shift poorly without it.

Even if you install a new hanger you should check it's alignment with the tool. Just cause the hanger came out of the factory straight doesn't mean it will be straight when screwed into the frame, and with a wheel clamping it in.
    yup.. and again... often time when you get bit by a derailleur snake, the hanger will get toasted and save the frame, but the frame will many times still get mildly tweaked and you'll need to adjust the new hanger... but I know many shops that don't have one... mostly roadie places
    Last edited by thomllama; 11-12-2012 at 09:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i recently had my rear hanger adjusted..and i also ordered a spare for just in case. but i too had the same issues, brought it to my local shop, it took about 5 minutes to straighten out..it was bent pretty bad and they still were able to fix it no problem. I think i paid 15 bucks for their services..to include adjusting my rear derailleur. the only adjustments i ever had to do since (6 months later) was tighten my cable a bit from cable stretch and thats about it. set it and forget it lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They all had the tool in their shop for their own use in the repair area.

I was trying to buy one to use at home, and they did not have them in stock. They all offered to order one for me. I just decided to order it on-line and have it deliverd to my house rather than having to drive the 40 miles round trip again to go pick it up once they got it in.

Ride Responsibly
    40 miles away you need to join the "Tool of the Month Club" !
    You can use any good straight edge to do a "close" adjustment. Hold it tight to the hanger and see if it is parallel to the bottom bracket face.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    According to UPS tracking, the tool I ordered will be here on Friday but I won't have time to check out the hanger alignment until Monday. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Wayne

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    According to UPS tracking, the tool I ordered will be here on Friday but I won't have time to check out the hanger alignment until Monday. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Wayne
    I'm about 95% sure it will!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    WOOHOOO! Got the tool Friday, aligned the hanger today. Shifts both up and down like a new one!!! I did not even put the new hanger on, I just aligned the one that was already there, so I still have a brand new spare. It was out quite a bit.

Thanks, Guys!

Wayne

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    WOOHOOO! Got the tool Friday, aligned the hanger today. Shifts both up and down like a new one!!! I did not even put the new hanger on, I just aligned the one that was already there, so I still have a brand new spare. It was out quite a bit.

Thanks, Guys!

Wayne
    it nice when the right tool for the job is available huh?