Thread: Rear Deralieur

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Rear Deralieur

I have two questions I could use some help with:

1. I recently swapped the rear wheel over from my Kona hardtail to my Trek Fuel 90 so I could migrate the disk break over. Both Trek Fuel and Kona use Shimano shifters and deralieurs. However, not that I have the Kona cluster on the Trek, I am having some shifting problems. Note that I did nothing to the Trek shifter/rear deralieur settup...made no adjustments. What happens is the chain will shift down to lower gears, but it skips the next to last lower cog. Just jumps right over it to the lowest cog. Any help? Does it sounds like I just need to adjust the rear deralieur?

2. The Trek came with a set of Rock Shox Duke XC forks. I "could" swap over the Marzouchi EXR Pro shocks from my Kona as well. Any thoughts on this?

LBS Manager

Needs adjusting

when ever you change a wheel you need to readjust your der check the cable tension and the limmit screws to make sure they are properly adjusted and it should work fine.

Live 2 Ride
    I switch forks over all the time on my bike and my friends bike. As long as both steerer tubes are the same length or almost the same length you should be OK - just use the proper amount of different headset spacers and it should work.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

The devil is an angel too
    #1 You may have a worn out cassette/chain on one (or both) of the bikes. Is one of the bikes signifficanlty newer than the other? I would suggest that you check both chain and cassette on both bikes. If you are running a worn chain with a new cassette you'll damage the cassette pretty soon. And viceversa with worn cassette and new chain.

#2 Do both forks have the same travel? if they don't, you may alter the geometry of the bike enough to change how it rides. Which could be good or could be bad. Also, if you are not running the same headsets, you will very likely have to swap the crown race from fork to fork. Not a biggy, but something to keep in mind.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde