Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rear Derailuer. How to tell if it's worn?

655 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rlouder 
#1 ·
So it looks like i'll be upgrading the drivetrain on my wife's bike, as I think she needs a new casette (chain skipping).

She has always had problems shifting the front der. It's really stiff to shift. And she has small hands. Her Rocky ETSX 50 Has a top swing XT. I replaced the LX shifters to XT and recabled, thinking that would do the trick. No Dice.

So now i'm thinking of switching her to grip shift. Since she needs a new rear casette and chain, i'm wondering? There's an XT rear der on there. If it's still solid, go with a shimano rear casette, Sram chain (cause I have an extra), and attack 1:1 gripshift.

But if the rear der is worn out, then I might think of going all Sram and the 1:2 gripshift.

So is there an acid test to tell if it's worn or not?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I think you have the actuation ratios reversed. Sram is 1:1.

The cassettes are interchangeable. You can use a shimano cassette with a sram der and visa versa.

The only way I know to check the der is to compare it to a newer one. You can can move it side to side to check for play in the pivot points and also check the b-spring tension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.