mtbr member

Rear Derailleurs scare me

I have an Intense 5.5EVP and I crunched my rear derailleur (my fault). So luckily I had a spare hanger and I went out and bought a new XT derailleur/chain. But I'm worried about correctly setting this up with all the suspension issues.
    Now, I'm no bike mechanic but I try. I think I got mostly everything right but there a few things that I could use help with.

I set the shifter correctly and pulled the wire tight through the derailleur but I don't know if I pulled to tight before I clamped down the bolt that holds the wire tight. How does one know?

In the instructions (and the Park tool website) it says that in the small crank and small cassette the chain should not touch itself below the derailleur (as it runs through). It does a bit but not a big deal. I used the previous chain to cut the new one and I dont' want to make it to short with all the suspension; is this a problem as I don't ever run those gears together. In the big/big combo the derailleur is pretty stretched out but not bad. I would rather error initally on the long side and be wrong than the short side.

I got the low and high stops set but the gears inbetween the shifting is a bit harsh and not smooth but I don't know how to make it better. Anybody know some newbie mistakes that I might of made that could solve this.

The other thing that I noticed that when I'm in the granny gear there is no wire showing between the clamp screw and where it comes out of the barrell. Is the correct or did I not set the wire correctly (as I was worried about above).

Thanks all and merry x-mas!
    me

banned
    The roughness may be caused because you didn't replace the cassette at the same time.

Uhhh... you also get chain growth on FS because of the suspension movement. If you use the same length that you did before, then you should have no problems.

mtbr member

I replaced both not to long ago

Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    The roughness may be caused because you didn't replace the cassette at the same time.

Uhhh... you also get chain growth on FS because of the suspension movement. If you use the same length that you did before, then you should have no problems.
    I replaced both the chain/cassette not to long ago, (between 100-200 miles) so I didn't feel that I had that much wear on the cassette to warrent to replace both

Rough shifting isn't the best description. Is it hanging up or not moving from cog to cog, or trying to ride the edges? Are particular cogs being skipped?

Doubt if your cassette's the issue if it's that new. How did you set the barrel adjuster both at the time of tightening the cable with the anchor bolt and afterwards? Pulling the cable so that there's no slack as you tighten the anchor bolt is fine; don't pull the derailleur out of position as you do this. Did you stretch the cable, or allow for cable stretch and then remove then remove the resulting extra slack?

Your chain at same length as old one should be fine. Where you connected your chain you didn't get a tight link did you?

Is your housing/cable nice and clean? Old and needing replacement?
    Last edited by Bikinfoolferlife; 12-24-2005 at 08:35 PM.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique