mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Rear Derailleur Trigger Lose (Ratchet Effect)

When riding my 2004 Trek 6700 mountain bike one of the rear derailleur trigger is loose. Like it has a super amount of slack in it. The other trigger works flawlessly on the same module. The button that has slack is the thumb press. I have to continue to press it and is like it ratchets up some slack or catches and then will change gears flawlessly. Could the trigger module be bad? The rear derailleur was just changed by a bike shop and the trigger was doing this on the old derailleur as well. What are your thoughts? THanks!!

DISCLAIMER:Excuse the newbieness and bad terminology, but I am not a bike geek, though I do enjoy riding them

More pie please
    Is it a Shimano trigger?

The grease in Shimano shifting pods/triggers tends to thicken, gunk-up, and make the shifter behave as you described. I have revived my shifting pods by cleaning out the old grease with WD-40 (with the tube, you can blast into the tight spots), waited 15 - 30 minutes for the WD-40 solvent to evaporate and lubed with something better. I used TriFlow but donít know if that is the best.

That is easy but there is one hassle; to get the housing off the shifter, you have to fully remove the derailleur cable.

Like you, my experience has been it is the shifter for the rear derailleur which has the problem.

Hope that helps.
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I took the bottom up and the lube looks to be very thick. Definitely an issue with the trigger as if I apply pressure upwards it does catch. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Take it to a bike shop.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...