mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Rear derailleur shifting help

I recently built my first bike and all is working well except the rear derailleur. I can't seem to get it to pick up the full range of cogs it is a 9X3 setup. I can have it shift properly in the smallest 7 cogs of after increasing cable tension ( to expand the derailleur) the largest 8. The frame originally had all 8 speed components but I put all 9 speed on it, could that be the problem (maybe derailleur hanger) ? Here are my drive-train specs:

derailleur: sram sx-5 (8 or 9 speed) 1:1 ratio compatible
    shifters: sram attack 1:1 ratio
    chain: 9 speed sram
    front derailleur: Shimano Acera
    crankset :TruVativ IsoFlow
    rear cogs - 9 speed sram

any help is greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm not familiar with your shifters. Are they 9 speed? What about your wheel hub? Is that 9 speed compatible? Did the change to 9 speed change your driveline? Also, are you sure the rear derailleur is installed correctly, because you can have too much slack in the line somewhere. Usually that somewhere is inside the shifter itself. The cable end inside the shifter has that metal cylinder that is held inside of the shifter. Sometimes you think it is tight enough, but the slack inside will cause problems that sound like what you're getting. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971
    I'm not familiar with your shifters. Are they 9 speed? What about your wheel hub? Is that 9 speed compatible? Did the change to 9 speed change your driveline? Also, are you sure the rear derailleur is installed correctly, because you can have too much slack in the line somewhere. Usually that somewhere is inside the shifter itself. The cable end inside the shifter has that metal cylinder that is held inside of the shifter. Sometimes you think it is tight enough, but the slack inside will cause problems that sound like what you're getting. Good luck.
    TK1971- yes the shifters are 9 speed and so is the wheelhub. Did it change my driveline? I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean the cable or how the cable is routed? The cable is new as are the shifters and because it was only a frame when I got it I am not sure how it was routed before. I am also a little confused on the direct routing that this derailleur has. I am not sure if I have too much slack in the last housing piece or maybe not enough? It does not slip out in any gear and has a slight bend in it. Is anyone here familiar with SRAMs direct routing and maybe some help? I will try adjusting the tension from the shifter again but it seems like when I get it tight enough to adjust to the largest cog it no longer has enough slack to catch the smallest cog. That is what makes me think I have some sort of spacing issue but I am not sure where to look.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    With the rear shifter cable removed from the derailleur, release all the tension from the line with your shifter. Hold onto the cable and pull on it. Now, operate the shifter to give it more tension one click at a time. Do you have 8 distinct clicks followed by a measurable shortening of the cable (that you are holding with the other hand) with each click?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971
    With the rear shifter cable removed from the derailleur, release all the tension from the line with your shifter. Hold onto the cable and pull on it. Now, operate the shifter to give it more tension one click at a time. Do you have 8 distinct clicks followed by a measurable shortening of the cable (that you are holding with the other hand) with each click?
    Yes, 8 clicks and the cable gets shorter with each one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Are you following the directions that come with the shifters to adjust them after installation? Setting "L" and "H", etc?

From your first post, it sounds like you have a rapid rise derailleur (tension makes it go into smaller gears), right? (Quote: I can have it shift properly in the smallest 7 cogs of after increasing cable tension )

Assuming Rapid Rise, if you release all the tension (like completely disconnect the cable), is the derailleur sprocket lined up with the largest gear on the cassette? If it is, then the chain should be guided into that gear.

Your original post also stated that you had no problems with the smallest 7 cogs, so that means you cannot shift into the 2 largest gears on the cassette, right? Check the "L" adjustment with no cable tension to ensure that the derailleur sprocket is lined up with the largest Cassette gear.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you. Is the derailleur cage straight and in good alignment. You indicated that these are all new parts, but check everything against the instructions.

Good luck.