mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Rear derailleur replacement

Noobie here - well ridden Gary Fisher (low end) with a beaten up Shimano Acera rear derailleur that needs replacing. It's a 7 speed cassette with a 34T large cog, and rapidfire shifters. I'd like to replace it with something better, and have a great local bike coop helping me with the replacement. It seems like there are so many options - I'm looking to a Shimano Deore XT RD-M771-SGS Rear Derailleur - this has the capacity for a 9 speed setup - can I set it up for the 7 speed? Any advice is appreciated. I may be making this more complicated than necessary.

Fat-tired Roadie
    That derailleur should be fine.

I replaced an Acera with a Deore recently, and it made for nicer shifting. An XT should give you a little better service life, but may be a little much to bolt onto that bike - are you planning to give it a makeover with high-end stuff, or are you mostly just trying to keep it rolling?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the info - more than keep it rolling, but less than a high end makeover, if that makes sense. I got the bike cheap, and the frame is in great shape, and the size is perfect. I like the stiff aluminum frame a lot - and it will see time at the coast, so it's a good basis for creating a decent all purpose ride. I'd like a step up from the stock derailleur, but accurate and quick shifting is more important than bulletproof trailproof construction. I also like the idea of keeping a bike alive rather than buying a new bike.