mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well rear derailleur problem

I have a Trek 4100 with an Altus rear derailleur. I recently spent some time trail riding and consequently plowing through some deep mud - almost up to the bottom bracket! After I was out of the muddy section I notice my chain was making a lot of noise on the down stroke while pedaling hard. I later cleaned up my drive train and re-oiled with Tri-Flow, but the noise stayed. I've adjusted the rear derailleur as shown in my repair manual, but I just can't get it to quiet down. It shifts like a dream - no skipping, no mis-shifts, etc.... Could I have twisted the cage or otherwise damaged the derailleur just by going through the mud? Please help!!
    dw

"Don't know, what you don't know" - anon.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by dwoffroad
    I have a Trek 4100 with an Altus rear derailleur. I recently spent some time trail riding and consequently plowing through some deep mud - almost up to the bottom bracket! After I was out of the muddy section I notice my chain was making a lot of noise on the down stroke while pedaling hard. I later cleaned up my drive train and re-oiled with Tri-Flow, but the noise stayed. I've adjusted the rear derailleur as shown in my repair manual, but I just can't get it to quiet down. It shifts like a dream - no skipping, no mis-shifts, etc.... Could I have twisted the cage or otherwise damaged the derailleur just by going through the mud? Please help!!
    Mud is bad. Water is bad.

Mud can help create lots of wear on your chain, on your cassette, on your rims (if you don't have disc) and on your rear mech.

If the bike won't quiet down it could be any one of the above parts, or even your hub or Bottom Bracket that might have lost lubrication (grease, oil, whatever) and started to make noise.

Mud is bad. Water is bad.

That's the bike reason not to ride in mud. Now for the soapbox part. If you're riding where the BB is almost engulfed by mud, that is a very serious mud puddle.

What type of tire ruts can this cause, what type of damage to the trail? Riding in mud is bad, it leaves a water channel that doesn't want to drain, it damages the trail, and it can help cause the trail to widen. Riding in mud leaves a pretty permanent mark on the trail saying bikes were here, and it can, has, and will be used against us when we try to open new trails.

Best way to keep the bike working good and the trails in good shape too is not to ride muddy trails.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks JmZ. I'll have to look beyond the derailleur. As for riding in the mud, I must put my situation into context. This is an old dirt road that has been closed for over 20 years because of a bridge that hasn't been repaired. It just happens to connect to a railroad bed where I like to ride. Since the railroad bed is closed to ATVs, they ride up and down this road for somewhere to ride. This is an accepted use of this road and is why the mud is so deep. There are other trails that lead to the railroad bed, but I decided to check it out since I hadn't been down it in a while - now I remember why I hadn't been down it for a while!! Anyway, normally I don't ride like this. I do think it's great that you stick up for the respect of trails with such passion.
    dw

"Don't know, what you don't know" - anon.

willtsmith_nwi

Jockey Pulleys

Quote Originally Posted by dwoffroad
    Check the jockey pulleys. You may have washed all the lubricant out of them.