mtbr member
    Jan 2009

rear derailleur issue

well bought my meta 5.5.3 and i reassembled the rear derailleur and wheel.

the thing is that in the low gears of the cassete (as depicted) the down wheel of the rear derailleur is so 'up' that the chain touches and is dragged on the second wheel of the rear derailleur.

well,you can see it better in the pic.

how can i fix that?

thanks in advance!

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    Shorter chain and/or longer derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    wtf?it's a new bike damnit.

are they so idiots?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Sadly yes, they're either inept or uncaring

Your chain is way too long. It shouldn't have this problem even on the granny, and having it on the middle chainring is totally unacceptable. The dealer should never have delivered it to you this way.

It's possible that it isn't 100% his fault since it's a short cage RD which I doubt has enough capacity for the gear combo. If the manufacturer spec'ed it this way it's their fault. If someone swapped either the RD, cassette or chainrings, it's their fault. But in any case the dealer should have caught and dealt with it. That's part of what you pay him for.

Before simply shortening the chain and creating a new problem, check the length on the big/big crossed combination. The RD should not be stretched to it's full capacity and you should be able to pull the lower chain forward another inch or so.

Also check RD capacity against this formula for tooth take up. the difference in niumber of teeth between the largest and smallest chainrings, plus the difference in teeth between the largest and smallest cassette cogs.

Now bring it back for either a chain length adjustment or RD swap.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    do i need special tools for shortening the chain?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yes, you need special tools, and different tools if it's a Shimano chain. But do not shorten the chain without checking the length on the big/big combination.

An overly long chain causes problems, but an overly short chain destroys bicycles.

Based on your questions, I suspect that you may be in over your head simewhat, and strongly recommend that you pay the LBS a visit. I don't know what your options are in Greece, but looking at your bike I'm all but certain that you really need a long cage derailleur. Otherwise you'll have to make the decision between a too long or too short chain, and I assure you that in that case too long is the far wiser choice.
    Last edited by FBinNY; 04-01-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ok,i'll do that with the big/big combination.

if i manage to pull the lower chain forward more than 2 inches,i'll shorten the chain.(about 2 links)

if not,then i'll go for a long cage,most probably an X-9 sram.

PS.those flaming idiots.i bought it 1 month ago from london.