Hit em hard!

Rear derailleur hitting frame

My rear derailleur is smacking the bottom of my frame everytime I go over a big bump or land a bunny hop. What can I do to fix this? I threw together this pic in paint to further show the issue (Not my actual derailleur in pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bludwig; 03-27-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    My Mountain Bike Blog! http://michiganmtbr.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Could it be that your b-screw needs adjustment? Go to the following link and read the section on that topic. It might help.

Of course, the problem could be something else.

Hit em hard!
    I'm thinking thats probably the issue. I checked out parktool.com and read about it. I'll have to adjust it and see where I can get with it. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    My wife's bike with a Deore RD has this same problem. I did notice how weak the spring felt on the main pivot (around the derailleur hanger bolt); it takes almost no force to push the body of the derailleur in an arc towards the frame. I do not remember my X.7 RD feeling like this when I used gears and I never had a problem like this with it.

Tightening down the B-tension screw did rotate the derailleur further back, but it had no affect on the strength on this spring unfortunately.

My next attempt to solve the problem involves a new SLX Shadow derailleur sitting in a box, ready to go Time to treat my wife and hopefully give her something that works better

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Besides the "B" screw adjustment, check that the stop tab which engages the hanger isn't bent or sheered off.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Meh.
    Shimano derailleurs have always flopped around a bit like that. The new Shadows don't. As mentioned, check the B screw and that the stop tab isn't damaged.

You can zip-tie a piece of tube to the knuckle to dampen the noise.

Hit em hard!
    Thanks for the advise, With your help I should be able to figure it out. Thanks again!