mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Rear Derailleur Coming Un-indexed after 10-15 miles

Can anybody tell me why a drive train will become "unidexed" after 5-10 miles?

I will index the rear derailleur and everything will run great for 5-10 miles, and then I will start getting skipping in 3rd - 5th gears (e.g., 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, etc.) after about 10 miles. Many times I can tighten the derailleur and eliminate the problem on the trail, but 5-10 miles later the problem repeats and I solve it by loosening the cable a little.

My setup is with an X9 trigger shifter and an X0 read derailleur (both purchased within the last 1.5 years). I have tried replacing the cable, making sure the derailleur bolt is tight, replacing the hanger, adjusting for cable stretch, but none of these have worked long term. I can't figure out what the problem is, unless there is some incompatibility in the XO and X9 setup.

Could it be old cable housing or the fact my chain has two powerlinks side by side?

Any help would be appreciated. It is driving me nuts.

mtbr member
    If you have not replaced the cable housing in 1.5 years, that may be it. Also, even though you replaced the hanger, it may not be perfectly straight and I recommend having that checked. I found so many these days that need tweaking, I bought the part tool to straighten the derailleur hanger. It's about $50 but well worth it. Most likely, between the 2 above, you'll be back in business.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Thanks.

Thanks to both responses. Very helpful.
    Last edited by cilantro13; 04-08-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Plays with tools
    It sounds like your housing is blowing out and as a result the cable won't hold tension. For future reference always replace the cable AND the housing. Doing just the cable is a complete waste of time.

It's always a good idea to check a new hangar for proper alignment but if that was the problem it would be more consistent.