Thread: rear derailler?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

rear derailler?

i have shadow xt rear derailler.i run middle ring up front and problem is when shifting either from or to 2nd biggest ring in rear it skips to 3rd ring or smallest ring in back. it will not stay in 2nd gear in back.any suggestions the rest of the gears shift great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    help please!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't completely understand the problem from your description.

The Park Tool derailleur adjustment instructions may help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the chain jumps from the innermost cog down to the 3rd cog skipping the 2nd cog when shifting either way.it will not stay on the 2nd cog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Have your....

derailleur hanger checked. Sounds like it might be bent slightly. It doesn't take much do bend most hangers, and it doesn't take much misalignment to cause the problem you describe. It may not even be very visible eyeballing it. If you don't have an alignment tool, take it into a shop. Most will have the proper tools and shoudn't charge much more than $10 for the job. That would be my first check from the symptoms you describe. If it were any other adjustment problem you likely wouldn't have the skip in both directions.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    What squash said... Also, replace the cable and housing while you're at it making sure that you use derailleur specific housing...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the same r.der...and i had the same problem when i set it up....two things...one, the rear der hanger was slightly bent, and two, im not good enough dialing in a rear der....i took it to the shop, and in ten minutes (even with the slightly bent hangar) the shop had it running perfectly, going into all gears and not skipping over 2nd like it was...A good mechanic should be able to straighten it out...he said that the xt's are jsut very finicky and take very minor adjustments to get them just right...