mtbr member
    Oct 2006

rear deraileur jumping cogs

am having problem adjusting my rear XO it seems to skip the 2nd cog when either down shifting & up shifting . I have got it to work but then it skips the third cog, what do I need to do to remedy this?
    Thanks syn

Wrench
    Sep 2007
    Check derailleur hanger alignment and the limit screws. Is it the 2nd biggest cog or 2nd smallest?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It is the 2nd smallest

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Check cable tension.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I thought of that & did replace the old cable didn't help

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Second vote for checking hanger alignment. I was goin nutes this season adjurting by r derailier and having no luck. It was always skipping in the middle. Finally, went to a lbs that I don't normally go to and he pulled out the hanger adjustment tool and 30 seconds later. It was perfect........

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have ordered a new hanger from santa cruz I don't want to mess with the old one with out having a replacement. The hanger should be here on the 2nd nov.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I started having a problem with ghost shifting on the three smallest cogs right after a crash the other day. I thought the dérailleur was the culprit until I found a pinched chain link. On the larger cogs the chain was tracking around fine but on the little ones the pinched link would not bend far enough and was throwing the chain off the cog.

mtbr member
    I was having this problem to and for the love of me, I couldn't fix it at all. I ended up bringing it to a LBS and they said it was cause the cable wasn't lubed up enough. :shrug:

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It is a brand new cable & the housing is only a year old, I am going to try some of the suggestions from here after work today I will let you know.