mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Rear derailer won't shift down

I just started riding my bike again after a few years. A friend finaly, after much bugging from me, got one so we could ride. After a couple rides the rear derailer started acting up(more than usual, it was pretty out of wack after sitting around and collecting dust and a little rust). I spent an hour+ this morning getting it all adjusted, and it still won't downshift.

The problem is when I try to downshift it is physicaly impossible for me to turn the grip shift down. Its like the cable is stuck, but if I just nudge the derailer in the right direction the shifter smoothly moves to the next click, and the chain smoothly moves to the next gear.

I just got back from my local bike shop, and their mechanic is on vacation, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Check...

Quote Originally Posted by Stregone
    I just started riding my bike again after a few years. A friend finaly, after much bugging from me, got one so we could ride. After a couple rides the rear derailer started acting up(more than usual, it was pretty out of wack after sitting around and collecting dust and a little rust). I spent an hour+ this morning getting it all adjusted, and it still won't downshift.

The problem is when I try to downshift it is physicaly impossible for me to turn the grip shift down. Its like the cable is stuck, but if I just nudge the derailer in the right direction the shifter smoothly moves to the next click, and the chain smoothly moves to the next gear.

I just got back from my local bike shop, and their mechanic is on vacation, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
    the cable housings. Cable could have rusted from sitting inside housings. Will pull when shifting up, but spring on der isn't strong enough to shift down. Few drops of lube on der pivots might help also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by browns110
    the cable housings. Cable could have rusted from sitting inside housings. Will pull when shifting up, but spring on der isn't strong enough to shift down. Few drops of lube on der pivots might help also.
    Hmm, with this derailer it appears to pull the cable to shift down(to bigger gear), and the spring shifts up(to smaller gear).