mtbr member

Rear derailer problem

I put new shifters on my ride and ran new cables, the jockey wheel is not lining up with the smallest cog.what do i need to adjust? I thought maybe it was the limit screws but i dont think thats the problem. thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    If the indexing is correct in all other cogs except the smallest cog, it sounds like a limit screw problem. Are you sure you played with the correct limit screw, the one marked 'H'?
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Loosen the cable a bit when it's on the next to smallest cog. You're supposed to set your limit screws before you set anything else and all they're designed to do is make sure the chain doesn't go too far either up or down. If it won't go onto the smallest cog your cable is restricting it.

mtbr member
    Loosen the cable so there's no tension. Then adjust limit screws properly. Retension cable and adjust accordingly. Or, you can follow the attached directions from Park Tools
    repair site...
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Loosen the cable a bit when it's on the next to smallest cog. You're supposed to set your limit screws before you set anything else and all they're designed to do is make sure the chain doesn't go too far either up or down. If it won't go onto the smallest cog your cable is restricting it.

mtbr member
    thanks for the help....i had the cable tension too tight just like you guys said. it was a quick 5 minute fix.