mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rear derail pulley replacement, where to buy?

My rear derail is a XT RD-M751Long cage. The lower pulley has badly rounded teeth and I assume needs replacement.

JensonUSA lists them but I have no clue which ones are the proper ones?
    http://jensonusa.com/store/product/R...r+Pulleys.aspx

Performance sells these...
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

..are they a worthy replacement or will they affect my shifting somehow since they are alumunim instead of plastic?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just replaced my XT pulley jocky wheels last week. I found them at a local bike shop named Incycle in the city of San Dimas California. The have a web site incycle.com. The pulleys they sold me are OEM Shimano jockey wheels. The set upper and lower wheel cost me 18 bucks. Hope this helps you out. Ben

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    The 750 pulley from Jenson should work.

Beware of the aluminum replacement pulleys, the upper pulley on a Shimano RD is supposed to "float" or have some axial play. Pulleys with no play are going to require more finicky derailleur alignment.

Noob
    What do I need for my upper pulley for a Deore rear derailleur?

Will any 11t shimano upper pulley work for me. Are all shimano pulleys plastic and that's where they get the upper pulley get's it's play from (I had assumed it was built into something else). I think this one rides on bushing. Also, I had just assumed that higher level rear deraillures got metal pulleys. If replacing I'd like to upgrade to metal pulleys with ball bearings if possible. Does anyone see a problem with doing this?

I broke my upper pulley btw, is why I'm asking. I had assumed I just needed a generic pulley until I started researching, who knew that these little things could cause so much confusion!