official eMpTyBRain

Rear Der. Pulleys Squealing & Binding: XTR M972 Shadow

The pulley bearings (or bushings?) on my rear der. are squealing and binding after a good work out. I recently dripped a little lube down on them which loosened them up and quieted them down. But now, on my next ride, they are binding and squealing again. The der. has about 300 miles on it.

2 questions:

1) I've never had this issue with any XTR rear der. in the past, am I supposed to lube the pulleys periodically? I do not ride through mud or water EVER.

2) If this is a sign telling me that it's time for new pulleys, I'd like to upgrade to something hopefully lighter and more reliable. Your suggestions, please...

Thanks,
    'hawg
    Last edited by Hawg; 09-18-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Rub it............
    Make sure that its definitely the pulleys. Most of the time a dry chain will squeak/squeal making it sound like its the pulleys. But if it is the pulleys.............

Pull the cage apart and clean/lube the pulleys with a good grease like Park Tool Polylube 1000. Reassemble and ride.

This year has been a dry year where I live. I have to clean/lube more often due to the excessive dust in the air.