mtbr member
    May 2004

rear d. took a hit

Out on my favorite loop yesterday, my rear derailleur took a hard hit from rock. The shifting was immediately affected. The hanger doesnt appear to be bent.
    Can anyone give me any guidance on trying to center/bend it? Or should I just fool with the indexing settings to see if it will work somewhere?
    Any guidance is appreciated!

ride hard take risks
    Possibly bent the derailleur at the hanger.

It's hard to see if a hanger is bent sometimes with the nekkid eye; a derailleur alignment gauge is the tool to both check it and bend it back with. You might be able to do it by eye without the tool; some folks like to use a stout 5mm allen in the rd mounting bolt for leverage; be careful that bolt is tight first. Before you do much of anything, just go thru the rd as if you were mounting it for the first time, adjustments and all; either you'll get it readjusted properly or you might get a better idea of what you've done if not.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Yeah, go to a shop and ask them to use a alignment tool on the hanger. Theres also a good chance you bent the der. Cross country R der's are surprisingly fragile, I'm on my third this year. I'd like to build up a cross country machine with a saint R der, but it seems like a silly idea. Maybe I should just stop getting sticks stuck in my wheels......

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by kbiker3111
    Yeah, go to a shop and ask them to use a alignment tool on the hanger. Theres also a good chance you bent the der. Cross country R der's are surprisingly fragile, I'm on my third this year. I'd like to build up a cross country machine with a saint R der, but it seems like a silly idea. Maybe I should just stop getting sticks stuck in my wheels......
    3rd derailleur this year? Dank mine is 2 1/2 years old i better go find some bigger stumps to berm off!

banned
    Try and put the edge of a metal ruler across different portions of the inside of the dropout, going down to the RD bolt. This might shed some light.

mtbr member
    May 2004

done and done, and I mean done!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Try and put the edge of a metal ruler across different portions of the inside of the dropout, going down to the RD bolt. This might shed some light.
    Great advice- have not tried that before. It is straight.
    So,checked the H/L settings- those were fine, so I just tuned the indexing as usual, starting in the middle and working my way around from there.
    If only I would have had my portable stand out on the trail, I would have been able to find that sweet spot! Maybe I will buy some extra shoelaces for that purpose...

banned
    Yeah, a metal ruler has been invaluable for me to test the straightness of dropouts, disc mounts, and derailleurs/hangers.

One thing you might want to check is damage to the cable and/or the ferrule that leads it into the RD. I've scratched my head tons of time over poor shifting, then saw the cable wirewound damaged, or the ferrule broken or breaking.