mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Re-use KMC "Missing Link".... What's your advice?

I've just installed a KMC X9.93 chain and it came with the "Missing Link" to initially connect it. KMC's instruction leaflet that came with the chain warn against reusing the missing link. This seems to make no sense, especially when KMC confuses the matter further on this web-page where a link heading is titled "Missing Link Re-useable".

http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service

Elswhere on the web (bikeforums.net) someone speculates that the KMC limit on re-use "may be just a badly worded suggestion to use only for the one chain, not just the one connection".

Irrespective of KMC's instructions (which may be focused on liability than pragmatism), what has been MTBR'ers experince with re-using missing links?

Please post if you have re-used it many times with no problems, or alternately if you have had a Missing Link fail and why you think that might have occured.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I resuse them all the time. There are actually 2 versions, 1 that is not meant to be reused has a small indent where to sliding pin goes on both sides. This is meant to stop you from squeezing the plates to pull it apart. I found in practice, that does not really work and it can be removed also. Other than that, it's the same as the resuable. I fairly big, 240ish and 6 ft, and in the several years I've used them, I've never broke or even seen wear on the part.

Hi.
    I'm in the same boat. I have one I've used on probably 3 different chains with no problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    I resuse them all the time. There are actually 2 versions, 1 that is not meant to be reused has a small indent where to sliding pin goes on both sides. This is meant to stop you from squeezing the plates to pull it apart. I found in practice, that does not really work and it can be removed also. Other than that, it's the same as the resuable. I fairly big, 240ish and 6 ft, and in the several years I've used them, I've never broke or even seen wear on the part.
    Thanks for responding.

The link I used had a simple keyhole slot. It has a larger diameter hole that let the pin thru, then you pull the pin into the slightly narrower slots, where the side plates lock into a groove on the pin (see KMC stock picture). Is this the one that is, or is not, meant to be re-used?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    reusable in the sense if you need to take off your chain but if your chain is worn out the link gets tossed with it. depending on how worn the old link is, putting it on a new chain will make it click on the cassette

mtbr member
    You can actually see the groove I was talking about in the photo. Look at the larger circle on the bottom link, to the left of the hole. There is an indent in the plate. Again, both with and without the groove seam to remove fine for me, but the one that came with the chain have the groove, those I bought at Jenson did not. I also replace them with the chain.

≈ > ♥
    I've reused them many times. I think I have one chain with three of them on it... whenever the chain breaks or a plate gets bent, I use them to put the chain back together instead of breaking/repinning the chain.
    Have never had any issues with the connector itself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There's a decent safety margin so it's OK to reuse a link with the same chain when you open it for cleaning or to shorten.

Keep in mind that master link pins wear the same as the chain does, so you want to keep the same link mated with the chain for life. If you use a new link on an old chain or vice versa the pitch will be slightly mismatched, sometimes bad enough to hear a click as it goes by, but in any case causing a bit of extra strain and wear.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    reusable in the sense if you need to take off your chain but if your chain is worn out the link gets tossed with it. depending on how worn the old link is, putting it on a new chain will make it click on the cassette
    +1
    If you look at this photo of a worn chain I stole from Sheldon Brown's site (the pic, not that chain ) you can see the wear on the pin.
    Last edited by Surestick Malone; 12-04-2010 at 03:59 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by reptilezs
    This^^^
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Fueled by Tigerblood
    yup, i reuse mine all the tme on my x9 sl shain

mtbr member
    I have used these links for many years, on multiple family bikes. Yes, you can reuse them.

Issues? Every time you remove and refit the link it will get looser. When the link is new it will be a pig to open but take it off and on a few times and it will just slide apart. Years ago I was battering down a hillside when I heard a clatter from the bike, my chain had fallen off! I walked back up the hill and found the chain lying on the ground, the quick-link had opened separating the chain!

I looked around and found one half of the link. Thankfully I always carry a spare link so I stuck that on and was good to go. When I got to the bottom of the hill none of my mates believed the link had come open on its own, but it did. How, I don't know, but it did.

The reason I was Googling and found this thread was something else unusual happened today. Coming back from a ride this morning my son complained that his transmission was making a clunking noise and not shifting right. Figured it was just gunked up but when I looked at it this afternoon, one of the side-plates on the KMC quick-link had snapped! It had broken across the hole the fixed pin is in. Both pins were still in the chain but of course the chain was only held together by one side of the link, the other side was flapping in the breeze.

That is the first time I have seen one of these links fail. I reckon it has to a defect because that's not a high-mileage chain, maybe 200miles, and that link has never been removed since the initial fitting. I'm planning on sending the link to KMC.

The other thing that amazes me is that the chain stayed together. Another friend arrived at my house one morning years ago with a snapped side-plate, on a normal link, and he too had covered miles, including big hills, without the chain coming apart. Before these incidents I would have put money on the chain just ripping apart once one side of a link fails but they don't. I'm sure they would eventually but that's twice I've seen them hold together, at least for a while.

Incidentally, they do fit on Shimano and SRAM chains. Also, when I remove a worn chain I keep the quick-link. I keep a note of how worn the chain was so that, if need be, I can reuse that link on another part-worn chain. That's how I fixed the snapped chain on my friends bike.