mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Re-occuring SRAM 10 Speed Shifter Problem

I upgraded to SRAM X9 1 x 10 last season and the X9 shifter broke within the first few months. The downshift lever stopped returning when pressed in, then the downshift lever stopped returning completely. I returned it and got a new one and now the shifter is doing the same thing. WTF?

I took the time to take it apart, clean it and re-assemble it. That didn't fix it. Anyone else having this problem?

I'm considering upgrading to X0 or maybe switching to XT. What a hassle.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was having the same issue with an X7 shifter and found it was caused by the shifter housing (where the X7 logo is) being in contact with brake lever. I rotated the shifter away from the brake slightly and the problem hasn't returned.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Ever thought about Paul's Thumbies? I just swapped out my X9 shifters and love these. They are faster, more precise, and mechanically simple when compared to underbar shifters.

I realize these are not for everyone, but you really don't hear of these as an option too often.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member

Re: Re-occuring SRAM 10 Speed Shifter Problem

I have had that happen on two shifters. It's the shifter, SRAM should replace it no charge.

B

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd View Post
    Ever thought about Paul's Thumbies? I just swapped out my X9 shifters and love these. They are faster, more precise, and mechanically simple when compared to underbar shifters.

I realize these are not for everyone, but you really don't hear of these as an option too often.
    Agree. I posted video today on sram tt thumbies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6E...layer_embedded

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    have had it on 2 X0 shifters. There is a tiny lug that engages, in both cases it sheared off. In both cases Sram would not warrantee or answer emails. LBS said i was the 2nd in that day. If not for that I'd be running XX1 by now. So have gone back to shimano.
    Poor form by Sram.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by fsr29erATX View Post
    Agree. I posted video today on sram tt thumbies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn6E...layer_embedded
    It makes the SRAM stuff SO much better IMO. No more slamming gear feeling, single gear change BS. I've been around awhile, as I assume you have since you had that old Deore shifter, and I always thought these underbar shifters just didn't work as well as the old thumb shifters.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    I've been around awhile, as I assume you have since you had that old Deore shifter, and I always thought these underbar shifters just didn't work as well as the old thumb shifters.

It was the opposite for me, I never knew thumb shifters sucked until the first time I tried rapidfires. It doesn't seem to be a big deal to move your thumb to the top to shift but it's so much easier to have the shift lever where it already is (for me). Can't argue with the reliability of thumb shifters though.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It was the opposite for me, I never knew thumb shifters sucked until the first time I tried rapidfires. It doesn't seem to be a big deal to move your thumb to the top to shift but it's so much easier to have the shift lever where it already is (for me). Can't argue with the reliability of thumb shifters though.
    So what you are saying is that the position of the shifter works better for you? Position wise, either worked good for me. I did like the rapidfire shifters better than the SRAM shifters though. Having the option to upshift more than one gear at a time and being able to use my index finger too was nice.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    So what you are saying is that the position of the shifter works better for you?
    Yeah, that was it for me. The thumb and forefinger triggers are pretty much where my thumb and forefinger naturally are anyway. With the thumb shifters I have to move my thumb from the bottom to the top of the grip every time I want to shift.

Like I said it was never a big deal until I tried something different, ergonomically the rapidfires are just better for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

I had some xtr rf+ 9sp that I did like.. Never liked grip shift.. But once I went back to thumbies from those, I knew they were better for my preferences.. Ie feeling what gear you're in, reliability, weight, full sweep ability to change all gears at once, more precise feel. I rode the x7 2013s for a while, but noticed on very technical descents my thumb was bumping the lever (into harder gear).. I could have moved it inward.. But didnt like SRAMs config, push for both, prefer the rf+ pull.. Anyway.. The sram was also sticking.. So went back to my ol reliable... It's not for everyone.. It's what I started with over 20y ago.. So just showing this config for that .00001% like me.