Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RD-M760 SGS movement

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  btibben 
#1 ·
I've got an XT long cage rear derailleur on my '04 Jamis Dakar. The cage was hanging really crooked and I saw my hanger was bent. I straightened it out the best I could (with no tools since they are all at work) using a fence and a c-clamp. Got it looking reasonable and it hangs a bit straighter now, but there seems to be a lot of play in the plate assembly; it can be moved side to side close to 3/8-1/2". To me that seems like a lot.
I have no real way of showing what it is doing as my camera does NOT do good videos. When I'm in my smallest crank and any gear on the rear, you can watch my derailleur pull fowards and snap back. Obviously binding somewhere but it is rather hard to watch while climbing and hard to replicate without load on a stand.
Could my problem have been exaggerated when I put on an SLX crankset? I can't see how, but maybe a spacing issue has arisen?

#2 ·
btibben said:
I've got an XT long cage rear derailleur on my '04 Jamis Dakar. The cage was hanging really crooked and I saw my hanger was bent. I straightened it out the best I could (with no tools since they are all at work) using a fence and a c-clamp. Got it looking reasonable and it hangs a bit straighter now, but there seems to be a lot of play in the plate assembly; it can be moved side to side close to 3/8-1/2". To me that seems like a lot.
I have no real way of showing what it is doing as my camera does NOT do good videos. When I'm in my smallest crank and any gear on the rear, you can watch my derailleur pull fowards and snap back. Obviously binding somewhere but it is rather hard to watch while climbing and hard to replicate without load on a stand.
Could my problem have been exaggerated when I put on an SLX crankset? I can't see how, but maybe a spacing issue has arisen?
Have you checked for a stiff link in the chain?

Can you further describe what you mean by "a lot of play in the plate assembly"?

How did the derailleur hanger get bent? Do you see scratches and scrapes on the derailleur showing that it's taken some abuse too?

#3 ·
Chain is a brand new CN-7701.
By 'plate assembly' I meant cage. I can wiggle, from the bottom pulley, the cage about 1/2" perpendicular to the wheel. It just seemed irregular to me, but I had no reference to go from.
Not sure how the hanger got bent, may have just been small pushes over time, maybe one of my spills landed on it. Who knows, but I've got another one coming in today and I'll straighten this one out properly at work to keep as a spare.

This may just be my reason for getting a new derailleur so I can 'upgrade' my wife's bike (since I am so generous and all)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.