mtbr member

Rate FSA for me... I only speak Shimano

Deore
    LX
    XT
    XTR

These levels I get. I've only used Shimano - mtb and road. It's like Garanimals for bikes (if you don't get that joke you're under 35-years-old

I'm looking at this crank (I want to go 2x9):
    FSA Afterburner:

Would this be on part with LX or the current SLX Shimano stuff?

Thanks.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

I don't pay much attention to FSA (their website is no help?), so I'm no help there, but I'm much older than 35 and have no idea of what a garanimal is...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mbtr member
    I like fsa stuff. Everything i've used from fsa has been good quality, held up to my use, and been reasonably well designed. I don't think they do anything that is unequivocally better than anyone else (maybe in the ultralight ceramic category, but i don't pay attention), but their stuff always seems like a real good option. I run a lot of fsa parts.

Afterburner is roughly equivalent to XT. Hollow arms, outboard bearing, super similar crank arm interface, good shifting alloy chainrings, same weight. That 3 bolt set up on the 386 might be tricky to find rings and bashguards for, but the gearing makes a lot of sense. Like most fsa stuff, a really solid option, but no compelling reason to choose it over xt, unless you want that unusual bolt pattern. I'd rather just run a 26 36 on a 4 bolt.
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    ... older than 35 and have no idea of what a garanimal is...
    me too
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Come on guys - you don't remember Garanimals - that kids clothing line from the 70s... everything had an animal in the label. If the shirt had a tiger, than any pants with a tiger matched. Taught kids how to pick their own clothes.

Anyway... thanks for the feedback on the Afterburner. I think if I were looking to just swap my current 3 ring I'd jump on an XT crank ($249 at Performance) but other than XX ($!$!$) the afterburner looks like a solid option for the 2x9 conversion... assuming I like one of the two gearing options.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

~Disc~Golf~
    I had a shirt with an alligator on it
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Justa Dude
    Garanimals.....Clothes that little kids could match their own outfits by matching the animal tags. If you had pants with a lion tag you simply find a shirt with a lion tag and there you go, a matching set. (Circa 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar
    Come on guys - you don't remember Garanimals - that kids clothing line from the 70s... everything had an animal in the label. If the shirt had a tiger, than any pants with a tiger matched. Taught kids how to pick their own clothes.

Anyway... thanks for the feedback on the Afterburner. I think if I were looking to just swap my current 3 ring I'd jump on an XT crank ($249 at Performance) but other than XX ($!$!$) the afterburner looks like a solid option for the 2x9 conversion... assuming I like one of the two gearing options.
    There I was starting to remember they were kids vitamins or something. Long after my childhood in any case. You can do much better than $249 for an XT, like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622. Or try an SLX, good value there if you shop a bit.

I hadn't noticed the unique 3 arm setup in the pic (observant, I know), that would definitely make me avoid that crank.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    kinda like underoos....

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm 37 but my mom shopped at K-Mart...so no Garanimals for me

I've never used their cranksets, but I've owned three FSA headsets and they were all 100% trouble free. Given their cranksets use the Mega Exo BB which is Shimano compatible, there are also lots of aftermarket BB options.

Rub it............
    I've been using the FSA Afterburner 3 ring crankset for 2 years now. Zero problems. Over the winter I pulled the crank and was going to repack the grease in the bearings. The bearings were gunk free and the grease was still in good condition. So back together it went.

mtbr member
    That crank is nice for the money. It's cheap but heavy. I'd say LX type quality.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    That crank is nice for the money. It's cheap but heavy. I'd say LX type quality.
    16g more than xt = heavy?
    Hell is eternally climbing manzanita trail on your singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Yes, it's a double. If the OP is worried about weight there's way lighter options but they'll cost you big bucks. If he can't wait for a real XT double crankset, coming later this year, this is a good option.

Just ride!
    I have that crank on my 29er. Great shifting, XT like weight. The bottom bracket sucks, plan on replacing if/when the bearings get wet.