mtbr member
    May 2006

Rapid Rise clunk clunk and more clunks...

Hi

This is not another lets bash rapid rise and normal derailleurs thread. I have both and I like em both. And judging by the threads I have been reading about this, I kinda wanted to avoid the RR bashing/praises. I been noticing a problem that I hope a few of you can help me sort out...

When riding my hardtail (LX regular derailleur), I shift up and down without drivetrain noises. I've been easing off the power for smoother (and quieter) shifts (and have been doing this for years now). On my full suspension rig (XT rapid rise), I shift up ok (ie, bigger cogs), but the down shifts sometimes results in a clunk (which cannot be good for the cassette). The clunks are usually there when I am hurried or fatigued (on a 180km ride, the last 80km, I was doing them all the time).

The RR drivetrain is about 300kms old (just installed new cassette, cranks and chain), and the other drivetrain is on its 2nd chain, and probably has another 1000km on it before i need to replace the chain and cassette (tested a new chain 200kms ago, and she was slippin, so new cassette is needed).

Is the clunking normal for RR? Is it a case of me waiting for the chain to shift (which needs the cable to be tightened), and it not happening soon enough before I apply power? Do other folks get this? The RR derailleur is about 5000kms old. I honestly can't remember if I have been doing this the whole time, but a riding buddy brought this to my attention when he commented on my technique getting sloppy when I get fatigued. I do agree that shifting up when climbing is easier with RR, and that I might be a bit more aggressive on my RR drivetrain than the other bike.

Cheers
    Last edited by capnstem; 07-06-2007 at 09:35 PM.