mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Ramped vs non ramped chainring in 1 x setup

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm considering having my KM changed over to a 1x9 setup.Currently using a double shimano slx with bashgaurd.I was wondering if I stick with the big ring existing whether I will have more of a tendency to drop a chain even with a chainkeeper or should I purchase a nonramped ring?
    thanks.

mtbr member
    The chainkeeper may work well enough, but generally a SS ring will function better in a 1x setup. Give it a try and see if with your riding style and terrain that it's good enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I found the teeth on the SLX middle ring to be very shallow and have locations with even shorter teeth. Compare the teeth on the middle ring to the granny and you'll see what I mean.
    I run one bike with the SLX ring and had to use a bashwich. I've got a couple others with SS rings and never had a chain drop.
    Then again, chain rings are easy to change, you can always give it a try. The double SLX may be different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think I'll pony up the xtra $$ for an E13 guidering....avoiding the possible issues.Thanks.

usually cranky
    ^good choice. my advise is spend the 30 bucks, avoid the headache.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by shackleton47 View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm considering having my KM changed over to a 1x9 setup.Currently using a double shimano slx with bashgaurd.I was wondering if I stick with the big ring existing whether I will have more of a tendency to drop a chain even with a chainkeeper or should I purchase a nonramped ring?
    thanks.
    Ramped tooth rings are designed to shift, meaning drop the chain easily.

You do not want your ring to shift.

Get the straight cut ring.
    Keep the bash.
    Move the chainline as far inboard as possible.
    Use an N-stop or similar if needed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common