mtbr member

New question here. Ramped or non-ramped chainring on 2x9 ???

A satinless middle ring seems ideal (my 22t granny is stainless), and adding pins is easy enough, but I question not having ramps - how much impact will this have on shifting?

Anyone???

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

None For Some People

Ramps and pins are more of a crutch for shifting at improper times. 95% of the time a set of perfectly flat rings will shift just as well or better than ramped/pinned rings.

I will grant you that there are times on unfamiliar terrain when they are helpful. But they are by no means necessary as most of the newer riders seem to think.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Two weeks ago I switched over to a 2x9 drivetrain and also installed Boone Ti rings 22/32 with X-Type cranks. It's suprising how well they shift. I think Shayne is right in that you don't really need ramps and pins. The shifting is different but in the end I shift more efficiently and am therefore faster on the trail. My 2cents

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by floydg68
    Two weeks ago I switched over to a 2x9 drivetrain and also installed Boone Ti rings 22/32 with X-Type cranks. It's suprising how well they shift. I think Shayne is right in that you don't really need ramps and pins. The shifting is different but in the end I shift more efficiently and am therefore faster on the trail. My 2cents

Thanks guys. This has been my "feeling" or assumption, but hearing it from those with experience is what I needed to make a decision. Looks like the Surly stainless, or perhaps the Boone Ti if I can find one - where'd you get yours Floyd?

Peace

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    A satinless middle ring seems ideal (my 22t granny is stainless), and adding pins is easy enough, but I question not having ramps - how much impact will this have on shifting?

Anyone???
    It will be a rough and clunky chain jam.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Thanks guys. This has been my "feeling" or assumption, but hearing it from those with experience is what I needed to make a decision. Looks like the Surly stainless, or perhaps the Boone Ti if I can find one - where'd you get yours Floyd?

Peace
    I got the rings from Boonerings.com. He sell titanium wedding bands etc. and there is a link to Boonetechnologies that has the chainrings. I actually ordered two additional rings to try out, a 24 and 34t combo. I haven't gotten them yet. But I may be selling my 22t ring if you are interested. I also have brand new never used Raceface 22t and 42t rings as well. PM me and we can discuss it further if you like.