mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Raceface XC crank removal

Help ! Removed the crank bolts. How do I remove the cranks??? They appear to be stuck when trying just hand pressure. Do I need to use crank puller to remove the crank arms??Need to get to the BB to stop the creaking.

thanks

mtbr member
    those are self extracting, but you won't be able to just pull the crank arm off. check out the download at raceface
    http://raceface.com/tech/install-inst.htm

and or parktool.com's repair help for more tips & pictorial.
    Quote Originally Posted by accidental
    Help ! Removed the crank bolts. How do I remove the cranks??? They appear to be stuck when trying just hand pressure. Do I need to use crank puller to remove the crank arms??Need to get to the BB to stop the creaking.

thanks
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

EDR
    I just did this a few months ago on my evolve xc. From what I remember the crank arm just came off when I removed the inner bolt. The outer bolt serves as the 'self extractor' and needs to remain in place. it can be removed later during reassemble but I don't see any need to do that. The non-drive side came out easily for me, no tapping with a socket and hammer or anything was needed.

Did you remove the inner (8mm) crank bolts or the outer (10mm) cap bolts? -(i might have the bolt sizes mixed up, can't remember)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just checked again - the crank bolt has a plastic cap (like a large washer) that clips on to a threadless piece of metal. There is no 10mm thread on the cap or anywhere else on the bolt.
    I have looked at the raceface document and notice that it does talk about the crank puller cap having a 10mm hex.
    I have the raceface evolve xc and it is the doc i have been looking at - but my crank bolt does have what it says in the doc.

EDR
    Questions:

1) Do you know what model year the crankset is?
    2) Is it "X-type", (external bottom bracket) or are the bearings inside the BB shell?

Maybe older Evolve models came with internal BB's and no cap bolt to assist in removal. I don't know....or if you bought used, maybe the cap bolts are missing??? or they came off on the trail???

but I think you said you removed the crank bolts right? How? With a crank puller? And if so didn't the arm come off with it?

On my evolve ('05 model xtype) I think the drive side arm comes off when removing the drive side crank bolt. I then lightly tapped out the non drive side which comes out with the spindle attatched to the arm....
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 07-11-2006 at 06:30 AM.

EDR
    does yours look like this?

The silver bolt area is the crank bolt. Outside of that is the black top cap bolt (its hard to make out but has a larger diameter)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg RF.jpg (136.4 KB, 218 views)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Definitely not the same X-type - no wonder there is no 10mm cap bolt. I just have the crank bolt with a plastic cap on the end.
    The bike is a Giant xtc2 2004 - the crank could be older though I cant tell.
    Anyone with experience in removing the cranks on the older ones????
    eatdrinkride, thanks for the trouble!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Definitely not the same X-type - no wonder there is no 10mm cap bolt. I just have the crank bolt with a plastic cap on the end.
    The bike is a Giant xtc2 2004 - the crank could be older though I cant tell.
    Anyone with experience in removing the cranks on the older ones????
    eatdrinkride, thanks for the trouble!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, you need a crank puller for your ISIS cranks/bb, available at any LBS for around $10.