Illuminati

We the people ... RaceFace Taperlock BB worth the $$ over UN72?

I've been given a RF taperlock & the driveside threads on the cup are shot. new RF cups are only slightly less than complete new UN72 BBs in the UK

is the RF worth saving?
    or just go for the tried & trusted shimano?

ta

scant

Alaska Turner Mafia

Go for the UN-72

I haven't made the jump to ISIS or integrated cranks/axle yet, all my bikes have square taper still. I went through some Race Face BBs until I just got fed up with changing bearings. I believe an inherent problem with them was the bearings located too close to each other, not quite outboard enough, and leverage played hell on them. The BBs with bearings more outboard handle the leverage from the spindle better. But, I'm approaching Clyde status with a full pack on. My wife has a Ti Taperlock in her bike, and with her light weight exerting less overall leverage, so far so good.

I went through a process of trying to improve on the Taperlocks by installing heavier duty EnduroMax bearings, but still I'd get maybe 3 months out of them. So, since I got tired of wrenching when I should have been riding, I went with the bombproof UN-72 as replacements, and haven't looked back. Now some may consider these boat anchors, but their durability is tough to beat. I'm willing to live with the heft for piece of mind. The only drawback is they aren't serviceable, but disposable. The upside is they last forever! I've stocked up on a few as spares, especially since I noticed they've changed to a UN-73 version that has a plastic cup on the non-drive side. If you can find more of the UN-72s snatch them up before they're all gone.

If you're a lighter rider you may not experience bearing problems, but be suspect.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Illuminati

We the people ...

hi rando

Yeh I am kinda light @ around 137lbs. I have no experience of RF b.brackets, but 15yrs on shimano cartridge.
    I guess I was tempted by the higher (4x in the UK!) retail value of the RF over the shimano! I wonder why/ how shimano last so long, as there bearings are fairly inboard as well.
    appreciate the advice.

ta

scant