mtbr member

RaceFace rings + Shimano Crank?

Will RaceFace replacement chainrings work with my Shimano Hollowtech I crankset? I'm ready to replace some bent and worn chainrings and really like the way the Canadian rings look.
    "What Would Doug Do?"

mtbr member
    yep, long as the # of holes & BCD match up
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    yep, long as the # of holes & BCD match up
    Pardon my inexperience, but what does BCD stand for?
    "What Would Doug Do?"

mtbr member
    bolt circle diameter. for 4-arm cranks, it's not an issue, aside from some oddball XTR cranks that had non standard bolt spacing. If your's is 5-arm, it's most likely 'compact' or 94mm for big & middle ring, 58mm for granny. for more info, check sheldon brown's page
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdog
    Pardon my inexperience, but what does BCD stand for?
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Graphic Designer
    And pardon my inexperience, but I have a similar question I didn't see in other threads...Can I replace a 32T chainring with a 34T without changing anything else? Can I lets say plop in a Shimano 34T to replace a Shimano 32T?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by wiretapstudios
    And pardon my inexperience, but I have a similar question I didn't see in other threads...Can I replace a 32T chainring with a 34T without changing anything else? Can I lets say plop in a Shimano 34T to replace a Shimano 32T?
    If your chain is extremely worn, it might cause issues, but otherwise, it should be fine, assuming you are running a standard three ring setup.

if your 32 tooth is your largest chainring (third is replaced with a bash guard) and you swap to a 34, there is a chance you might need to lengthen your chain.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Graphic Designer
    Thanks for the reply...

I'm putting a bashguard on as well, but haven't shortened the chain any, in that case, would I need to lengthen it still, or should it be ok?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by wiretapstudios
    Thanks for the reply...

I'm putting a bashguard on as well, but haven't shortened the chain any, in that case, would I need to lengthen it still, or should it be ok?
    If you currently have a triple, and are switching to double+bash, it would be advisable to shorten your chain, after removing the big ring.

Read this:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I tried something similar a couple of years ago, replaced a 32 with a 34 on a 3 ring setup, for some reason the front d didn't like it and wouldn't shift nicely. I think it made the ramps too far out of reach from the small ring. Obvioulsy not a problem if you are on a double, something to think about. (of course this could be put down to the ahem cowboy mechanic that was working on my bike at the time)

Graphic Designer
    Ok, so I read the article...lets say I put on the bash and then upped it from 32 to 34T, then at that point, I wouldn't want to be shortening the chain as much because of the larger size, correct?

And also, if I kept the 32T and just put the bash on, why would I need to shorten the chain? I realize that I don't need that much chain, but if it is set up to go on the larger ring where the bash is, does it really matter about shortening the chain, since technically it just thinks there is a third ring already?

Sorry for the daft questions, but I don't want to adjust anything that will result in me having to go to the LBS to fix it, since that is down time not riding. I'm all for doing stuff myself, but since this is my main, brand new bike, I don't want to put it out of commission because of a small error on my part, etc...