mtbr member

Raceface rings: race vs team vs evolve

Because the best deal isn't always the lowest price...

I need to replace my chain rings right now. As far as I understand, the race and the team model of the chainrings are in fact the same thing, just different color. How about the evolve? Does it wear quicker of suffer from worse shift performance?

I can get a set of race face race rings for 65, a set of evolve rings for 45...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Are the "Evolve" rings the stock rings you get on the "less-than-higher-end" new bikes -- the ones that appear to be stamped and have distinctly different ramp/pin configuration compared to the Race/Team rings? If so, I can definitely tell you that they in fact do NOT perform as well as the Race/Team rings. The lower end Raceface rings caused me the most problems of any of the rings I tried (those being the OEM Raceface, Shimano XT, Blackspire, and Raceface Team.) In fact, it was all the chainsuck problems I had with the stock Raceface rings that led me to try other rings in the first place.

The Team rings, on the other hand (which as you said should be the same as the Race rings), are the BEST rings I've used. By this I mean that they have the best shifting performance, as WELL as the least chainsuck issues. I highly recommend the Raceface Race/Team rings, but I do not recommend the lower end Raceface rings, which I believe are the "Evolve" rings.

You'll have to forgive me if the "Evolve" rings are something else that I'm not aware of.

Larry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lalittle
    The Team rings, on the other hand (which as you said should be the same as the Race rings), are the BEST rings I've used. By this I mean that they have the best shifting performance, as WELL as the least chainsuck issues.
    Forgive me for jumping the thread a bit here, but I'm on the verge of buying new rings. Would you say that the Raceface Team (or Race) rings are notably better than, say, the Shimano LX rings that my LBS happens to have in stock?

Maybe I'll rethink my purchase and go Raceface instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Forgive me for jumping the thread a bit here, but I'm on the verge of buying new rings. Would you say that the Raceface Team (or Race) rings are notably better than, say, the Shimano LX rings that my LBS happens to have in stock?

Maybe I'll rethink my purchase and go Raceface instead.
    I can only relay my personal experiences with this, along with the caveat that people don't always have the same experiences with the same product. Note that I have not used LX rings -- I have only used XT rings (2005 or 2006). I honestly don't know what the difference is between the LX and XT rings -- they may in fact be identical.

With that in mind, what I CAN say is that in my experience, the Raceface Team (Race) rings DO perform better than the XT rings. The shifting with the Team rings is at LEAST as good as the XT, but the chainsuck issues are definitely reduced, and the Raceface rings appear to be lasting much better than the XT's.

To answer your question directly, if it was my decision, I personally would get the Raceface.

Larry

Auto-x addict
    +1 for Race Face rings.

I'm very happy with the Team rings. Shift very nicely, no chainsuck, and I found them for a good price. Holding up much better than Truvativ or '03 XT rings did for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What about Blackspire pro series chainrings? Or FSA, Salsa, and Vuelta for that matter. I'm looking for a cheap replacement, but want to make sure I get my $$$s worth. I had a chainsuck incident that broke a tooth of my Saint middle ring, and put a nice little gouge in my chainstay...

mtbr member
    regardless of which rings you go with, try to use steel chainring bolts if your stock RF bolts are aluminum. I was tracing a creaking on my bike and when I looked at the chainring bolts, 3 out of 4 were cracked at the head (note- that they were stock RF Deus bolts that I have not touched since the bike was bought brand new). I replaced them with steel bolts I had laying around from one of many SS conversions and they have been bombproof (but a few grams heavier).

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FWIW, I have experienced great lifetime and performance and been very happy with Blackspire Super Pro rings for shiftable systems.

I've also found that the Mono Veloce and DH rings make great middle-rings.I really don't see any hesitancy when upshifting from granny and w/o ramps and pins and such the rings last even longer and suck even less (much less to catch the chain on the up-rotation from the bottom of the chainstay).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bear

I've also found that the Mono Veloce and DH rings make great middle-rings.I really don't see any hesitancy when upshifting from granny and w/o ramps and pins and such the rings last even longer and suck even less (much less to catch the chain on the up-rotation from the bottom of the chainstay).
    But wouldn't that be bad for the chain. Besides making it easier to shift, I thought the purpose of the ramps and pins were to reduce wearing of the chain when shifting?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kalNhobbs
    What about Blackspire pro series chainrings?
    Blackspire Super Pro were one of the chainring sets I tried -- all together, I tried lower end Raceface (Evolve?), Shimano XT, Blackspire Super Pro, and Raceface Team. In my experience (same bike, same trails), the Blackspire did not shift as well as the XT or RF Team, and it experienced a lot more chainsuck than the Team.

Larry

mtbr member
    I switched to RF Team rings 2 years ago and they seem to do just as well, if not a bit better, than Shimano.
    They are a fraction of the price as well.