mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Raceface or E-Thirteen Turbo Bashguard?

Hi! Sorry I'm a complete noob at this but I've done as much research as I can already.

My Crankset is a Custom Shimano FC-M542 and looking to remove the 44A chain ring.. leaving me with a 32A... What does the 'A' stand for in this case? and the 'T' on the bashguard specs?

Would a Raceface 34T allow more clearance compared to the E-Thirteen 36T?

Is there a big difference between plastic and aluminium?

Would I need new bolts?

I'm open to other suggestions too.. just seems like these are the most popular choices.. Thanks!

dirtbag
    Get a bashguard that equals the #T of your middle chainring. I'd go with a 34t bash in case you want to go larger in the future as you'll lose some top end ditching the 44t. FWIW, I have 26/36 on my 2x9 with a 36t bash and it's a good gearing compromise. Use the same bolts.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It just doesn't seem like there's many 32T Bashguards out there.. mostly 34T or 36T... I'll keep looking.. Thanks!

mtbr member
    When I used a 36T bash with a 32T chainring, the chain rubbed on the bash when in the smallest two sprockets on the cassette. It was only an interim setup for me while I waited for my 36T chainring to arrive, but if you're expecting to do it for a while you may need to change your chainline or add spacers to the bash.

On your other questions, you won't need new bolts with the raceface as the alu bash guards are same thickness as a chainring. You will need longer bolts with the E13 as the plastic ones are much thicker, but I just recently bought an E13 and it came with the longer ... er ... um... what are they called - not the chainring bolt, but the cylindrical nut it goes into.

On whether you should go alu or plastic - I think its a personal thing. The aluminium ones look more light and elegant IMO but pretty soon start to look, well - bashed - once they've taken a few hits. The plastic ones offer more protection and don't get as dented and scratched, and look real chunky if that's your thing?