mtbr member

RaceFace Deus - BB Question (replacement)

Howdy Howdy, I am writing today as I have a problem with my RaceFace Deus Bottom bracket.

I have been using the Deus crank set for about 4 months, during that time it's been to two races both 12hrs, and a couple of trail rides (I dont get out enough). Now the bearings in BB are feeling seased- the cranks don't spin all that freely.

I was wondering if the Deus Crankset is compatable with other intergrated BB's such as Shimano? I remeber hearing something to that extent but wasn't all that sure. Asking this as it is much easier and quiet possably much cheaper for me to get a Shimano BB then it is a Raceface Deus BB. Will it work?.

Also regarding spacers- in the manual it says to run 1x spacer on the drive side and non on the non drive side; however the chainline still looks somewhat out of whack dispite following the manual. IS it ok to remove the BB spacer - I'm not sure there is any seal spacers in the driveside crank to remove
    Last edited by CulBaire; 01-10-2006 at 04:31 PM.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

The devil is an angel too
    Race Face [SIZE=7]DEUS[/SIZE]

Sorry, it just buggs the sh!t out of me when people keep calling them dues.

And yes and probably not.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    Race Face [SIZE=7]DEUS[/SIZE]

Sorry, it just buggs the sh!t out of me when people keep calling them dues.

And yes and probably not.
    Hehehe sorry I always mix it up I changed the thread title for you

Cheers Frozen K
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

Powder King lift jockey.
    Well if your BB is hooped after only 4 months Race Face will warranty it and give you a new set of replacement cups for free, the Deus has a 1 year warranty.
    The BB used on the Deus cranks is an X-Type and the cups are interchangable between shimano Hollowtech II.
    The Race Face cups are less money than the Shimano's, especially if there warrantied .
    The spacers are fine, leave them the way they are, it will be a little off center, that's how there supposed to be.
    J-bro

Back to that dues/deus thing, I always wondered how all the guys who spell it "dues" pronounce it...

Doubtful if the bearings have "seized" or that they've even had a chance to get fouled based on the amount of use you mention, heck, they should hardly be broken in. Did they spin more freely before? How are you checking?

Is the chainline giving you some sort of shifting grief? Or is the lack of symmetry when you look at it?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    The bearing have got alot tigter- more force is required to turn the cranks- both with the chain on and off... Definatly tighter.

Chain line, no shifting grief there it's just the lack of symmetry when looking at it that has me worried- no un-usual chain or chainring ware though.

Have you taken it off completely, inspected/relubed and reinstalled?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    No not as yet- I have not taken them off or relubed / inspected them. I orderred a new BB, but will endevour to check it out all the same.

Just curious, can the seals be popped out at all to re-grease the bearings - or are they completely non user servicable?

What would be totally awesome is a grease injuction port, similar to that of old Manitou (or was it Marzocchi) forks.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    No not as yet- I have not taken them off or relubed / inspected them. I orderred a new BB, but will endevour to check it out all the same.

Just curious, can the seals be popped out at all to re-grease the bearings - or are they completely non user servicable?

What would be totally awesome is a grease injuction port, similar to that of old Manitou (or was it Marzocchi) forks.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=136309
    You probably don't need new bearings. Just grease them.

The devil is an angel too
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    Now, that could be interesting. Not that BBs with grease ports ever became popular in the past. And you would still need to remove the arms to service, but it is something I'd consider if I was on the design team for any of the manufacturers.

I am not sure there is room for it, though.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Cheers guys- I ordered the new bearing anways as I have a race (Season Opener) in two weeks, and "down under" it takes a while for bits to come in from the distributers etc...

I checked out my cranks, while undoing the bolt it seems I have striped the allen head of 8mm the bolt, it doesnt looks stripped, it just seems the allen key is spinning but the bolt is not ... So now what!@@!@!

Positive side- the canks spin much better now- I must have preloaded the bearings a little too much... Not I just got to get this bolt out

mtbr member

No, No!

No, No! my mistake, the bolt come out ok, it just required a **** load of force... Not sure I will get that one back in so I've ordered a new bolt also.

Auto-x addict
    Order a steel crank bolt from the Atlas, while your at it, and use that as an "install bolt" to torque the crankarm. Then replace with the alloy one. The aluminum head won't really take the strain of initial install.