mtbr member
    Jun 2010

RaceFace Deux XC

The crankbolt (8mm) keeps getting loose, resulting in creaking of the crankset. Followed the "turn until it bottoms out" deal. I get it "bottomed out" to the point that the crankarms have significant resistance to spinning.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by whizbyu View Post
    The crankbolt (8mm) keeps getting loose, resulting in creaking of the crankset. Followed the "turn until it bottoms out" deal. I get it "bottomed out" to the point that the crankarms have significant resistance to spinning.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Sounds like too much preload on the bearing, you will toast both the bearings and spline. You need to remove some spacers either on the BB or the 1mm ones on the spindle. just a guess here but i think you are using a 68mm spacer setup on a 73mm shell

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The cranks are on a KM, w/ a 73 MM BB shell. Turns out I put one too many spacers on the drive side trying to get the chainline correct (what do I know, it's my first bike build). Spacer coming out tonight before the bearings disintegrate. Thanks.

EDR
    Common problem with the older RF xtype cranks (can't speak to the newer ones).
    Here's how it usually goes.
    -Crank arm loose, tighten bolt. Seems ok. Ride for a while. Crank arm loose again. Tighten super duper hard. Crank arm too tight, bearings won't spin. Loosen crank bolt, Ok till next ride. Remove a spacer. Crank arm bolt now bottoms out before arm is tight. Rinse and repeat until you are blue in the face.

If you run into the above situation it's likely the spine interface on the arm/spindle is FUBAR'd.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Common problem with the older RF xtype cranks (can't speak to the newer ones).
    Here's how it usually goes.
    -Crank arm loose, tighten bolt. Seems ok. Ride for a while. Crank arm loose again. Tighten super duper hard. Crank arm too tight, bearings won't spin. Loosen crank bolt, Ok till next ride. Remove a spacer. Crank arm bolt now bottoms out before arm is tight. Rinse and repeat until you are blue in the face.

If you run into the above situation it's likely the spine interface on the arm/spindle is FUBAR'd.
    Not sure I follow the second part there. I've run Deus XC cranks for 6-7 years now. The bolt does loosen and you do need the proper spacers to get it right. A little blue loctite works wonders though.
    If the spindle is fubar'd you'll have play even when properly bottomed, usually it's play when the arms are vertical as this is where the force that damages the spindle occurs.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    Not sure I follow the second part there. I've run Deus XC cranks for 6-7 years now. The bolt does loosen and you do need the proper spacers to get it right. A little blue loctite works wonders though.
    If the spindle is fubar'd you'll have play even when properly bottomed, usually it's play when the arms are vertical as this is where the force that damages the spindle occurs.
    What I mean is that it's a common complaint with RF Xtype users. Still, I'd bet "most" users don't encounter the problem as I described. I only meant to point out that some do, and it's certainly not unheard of here on mtbr.

The interface is finicky. Wrong preload elastomer (as described in the installation manual) and the crank will be too loose or too tight. Wrong spacers will cause the same problem. FUBAR'd splines...same problem. Again, most users may never have an issue, but the OP might.