Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    64

    RaceFace Deux XC

    The crankbolt (8mm) keeps getting loose, resulting in creaking of the crankset. Followed the "turn until it bottoms out" deal. I get it "bottomed out" to the point that the crankarms have significant resistance to spinning.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,686
    Quote Originally Posted by whizbyu View Post
    The crankbolt (8mm) keeps getting loose, resulting in creaking of the crankset. Followed the "turn until it bottoms out" deal. I get it "bottomed out" to the point that the crankarms have significant resistance to spinning.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Sounds like too much preload on the bearing, you will toast both the bearings and spline. You need to remove some spacers either on the BB or the 1mm ones on the spindle. just a guess here but i think you are using a 68mm spacer setup on a 73mm shell

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    64
    The cranks are on a KM, w/ a 73 MM BB shell. Turns out I put one too many spacers on the drive side trying to get the chainline correct (what do I know, it's my first bike build). Spacer coming out tonight before the bearings disintegrate. Thanks.

  4. #4
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,029
    Common problem with the older RF xtype cranks (can't speak to the newer ones).
    Here's how it usually goes.
    -Crank arm loose, tighten bolt. Seems ok. Ride for a while. Crank arm loose again. Tighten super duper hard. Crank arm too tight, bearings won't spin. Loosen crank bolt, Ok till next ride. Remove a spacer. Crank arm bolt now bottoms out before arm is tight. Rinse and repeat until you are blue in the face.

    If you run into the above situation it's likely the spine interface on the arm/spindle is FUBAR'd.

  5. #5
    nocturnal oblivion
    Reputation: stumblemumble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Common problem with the older RF xtype cranks (can't speak to the newer ones).
    Here's how it usually goes.
    -Crank arm loose, tighten bolt. Seems ok. Ride for a while. Crank arm loose again. Tighten super duper hard. Crank arm too tight, bearings won't spin. Loosen crank bolt, Ok till next ride. Remove a spacer. Crank arm bolt now bottoms out before arm is tight. Rinse and repeat until you are blue in the face.

    If you run into the above situation it's likely the spine interface on the arm/spindle is FUBAR'd.
    Not sure I follow the second part there. I've run Deus XC cranks for 6-7 years now. The bolt does loosen and you do need the proper spacers to get it right. A little blue loctite works wonders though.
    If the spindle is fubar'd you'll have play even when properly bottomed, usually it's play when the arms are vertical as this is where the force that damages the spindle occurs.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

  6. #6
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,029
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    Not sure I follow the second part there. I've run Deus XC cranks for 6-7 years now. The bolt does loosen and you do need the proper spacers to get it right. A little blue loctite works wonders though.
    If the spindle is fubar'd you'll have play even when properly bottomed, usually it's play when the arms are vertical as this is where the force that damages the spindle occurs.
    What I mean is that it's a common complaint with RF Xtype users. Still, I'd bet "most" users don't encounter the problem as I described. I only meant to point out that some do, and it's certainly not unheard of here on mtbr.

    The interface is finicky. Wrong preload elastomer (as described in the installation manual) and the crank will be too loose or too tight. Wrong spacers will cause the same problem. FUBAR'd splines...same problem. Again, most users may never have an issue, but the OP might.

Similar Threads

  1. Possible RaceFace Lifeline? - RaceFace being bought by Titus?
    By Nick_M2R in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 03:39 AM
  2. Moose Deux
    By JMH in forum Utah
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 04:56 PM
  3. Eye-Duh-Hoe Part Deux
    By windhoar in forum Turner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:23 PM
  4. AZT part deux
    By YuriB in forum Arizona
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 08:30 AM
  5. RP3, Part Deux
    By tscheezy in forum Turner
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •