Made in Canada

Raceface Deus XC

Just ordered from Pricepoint and received it today. I'm having a heck of a time finding out what year it is. Sicker on the box states July 2010, but as far as I know it definitely isn't the newest (with turbine rings, etc.). I don't think it's last model year's either (it looks like an '08 IMO).

Any ideas? I'd like to know especially since the "fix" of the BB problems in the 2008 model year. Thanks a bunch.

STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Even their better bottom brackets suck. Just ride it until it's wrecked then buy XT/XTR.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    It's possible some Deus cranks were shipped with Team rings, which appears what you have there, and still be "new".
    The machining of the arms changed subtly over the years. I had a look at a set I have had since '05 and the ones you have here are definitely a newer vintage. Your bb should have Phil Wood grease too.
    Can't help much beyond that.

Made in Canada
    Thanks a bunch for the replies anyways, I just wanted to get a general feeler on it. The crank looks awesome (huge difference between the Evolve I had before) and can't bet the lifetime warranty and made in Canada is a bonus.

I'm a bit wary on the BB, I have to ensure I install it properly and I'll ride it till it's done. I just want to get out there on the trails again with this new build... !@#$ bicycle thieves.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tpm7 View Post
    I'm a bit wary on the BB, I have to ensure I install it properly and I'll ride it till it's done
    A good many people are wary on the RF bb and justifiably so.

However, I feel RF has smartened up the design and the installation criteria to the point that their bb is viable.
    I've been running the same bb for almost a year on the We(s)t Coast of BC and to me that is as good as it gets in an area that eats bb's.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I didn't have good luck with the one RF BB I used but whatever, a Shimano XT is like 25 bucks. Unless you ride through a ton of clop you'll still probably get at least a season out of it.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The Deus Arms appear to by pre '08 100% CNC arms. The rings and BB look like they are from the next gen Deus however. So it's hard to say if you'll have an issue or not. Since RF dropped the full compliment bearings in favour of the retainer style they've been every bit as good as XT.

The BB that came with my Next is going on two years and spinning great (Also a west coast rider).

mtbr member
    The arms look exactly the same as my '07 silver Deus but the team rings that came with my Deus are all silver. I remember in '07, Race Face shipped out the black Deus with all black team ring and the silver Deus had all silver team rings. I think they shipped both the black and silver Deus with the two tone team rings starting '09. The team rings are lighter than the turbine rings that Deus come with now anyway. The Deus crank arms themselves that you have there are also lighter than the 2010 and 2011 versions. However Race Face claims that the 2010 and 2011 editions are stronger because they are forged and then machined. I also read somewhere that the '10s and '11s are made in Taiwan instead of Canada. My bottom bracket lasted me a season and a half of riding before I had to replace it but mine had black cups instead of your silver ones so yours might be the new and improved version.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowup View Post
    Your bb should have Phil Wood grease too.
    Like putting lipstick on a pig.
    Amolan

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    That's awesome

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Your BB looks like my 2011 Deus, but everything else looks like 07 . That being said I love my Deus crank its sexy as hell (white crank arms), lighter then XT, better rings the XT, and while they flex a little it's barely noticeable I got mine from Jenson for $106 because it had a slight blemish on the crank arm. I think the new BB supposedly more durable though beside the flex on my 08 Evolve there still holding up fine.
    Last edited by dogo; 06-02-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Presumably you've tried this?

Recreational Racer
    My Deus BB died a horrible death. Drive side bearing seized and shreddd the spacer. Ditched it for a Real World Cycling BB with the double seal and no spacer.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”