Not just famous; infamous

RaceFace Deus Chainline

This is a X-post from the Turner forum.

I'm going to be installing a set of the RaceFace 2 piece cranks in 2 ring + bashguard mode on my Spot. They have an adjustable chainline of 48-50mm. Any ideas on the proper chainline for a Spot? Or should I just wrench them on and ride?

Since I'm not using a big ring, I'm guessing that I should run them at 50mm, to center the two remaining rings. Any other tips (other than you should have bought something else ) on installing these cranks would be appreciated.

TIA--Dan

Not just famous; infamous

Answer from Turner

Well, Turner emailed me back, and, for a 5 Spot, the chainline is 50mm.

Just throwing this out there for anybody who's interested.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have you measured the chainline of your rear wheel? Ideally you would want the front and rear to match. The rear is usually less than 50 mm. On my bike, the rear (Chris King ISO disc hub) chainline measures 44.5 mm and the front (Race Face Deus XC crankset) measures 49.0 mm.

The frame shouldn't have anything to do with your chainline choice unless there are some odd clearance issues. For example, say your rear chainline measures 48.0 mm. It could be that if you set up the front chainline at 48.0 mm to match the rear, your front derailleur may not be able to move inward enough to reliably force the chain onto the small chainring. In your case, with 2 chainrings (small & middle only), your front chainline is halfway between the 2 chainrings, or ~(8 / 2) = 4 mm narrower than normal already.

If you adjust your chainline on these external bearing type cranksets, your cranks will no longer be centered in the frame. The spacing between the crank arms (Q-factor) stays the same but the entire assembly shifts to the left or right when moving the chainline.

When I was using an ISIS crankset, I simply used a BB with a 108 mm spindle to get the front chainline down to 46.5 mm. If I could have found a narrower spindle, I would have used it. That was on an Ellsworth Truth frame using an XT front derailleur that was bottom swing, top pull. With my new frame, crankset, and e-type front derailleur, the chainline is way off and there is nothing I can really do about it. Fortunately, it seems to shift OK so far.

PS. If you are having shifting issues which you suspect are chainline related, don't overlook a bent derailleur hanger. You need to be certain the hanger is parallel to the wheel (cassette) in both the vertical and horizontal planes. The best way to do this is with the Park tool. It is often not visually obvious when a hanger is bent enough to hurt shift quality.