mtbr member
    May 2005

raceface crank problem!!!

I just got a new raceface ride xc crank. The thing is the left arm is getting loose once or twise each ride. I use the big hex tomake it tight but again it get lose. I dont want to over torque it cause Im afraid to mess averything. What is the problem?, What do I do?

mtbr member
    the interface is probably worn.

you could try loctite on the bolt, but if that doesnt work,

i used aluminum foil on the interface to add a bit more material. put 1 or 2 layers on both the BB spindle and the crankarm interface. then loctite the bolt and screw it back on. torque it a bit over recommended torque

worked fine for me until i got a new crankset.

BTW, even with this method, it might be a good idea to check tightness every week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Make sure your Chainline spacers are installed correctly;

First this is for the X type BB; not sure if it would apply to yours, but,

I had the same trouble after replacing the BB and found that I incorrectly put an extra spacer on the drive side that was preventing me from seating that crank all the way.
    It also explained why I had to drastically readjust my derailleurs (I had changed the chainline). It was shifting OK, but not very good for chain wear. after i made the correction and readjusted derailleurs; everything is OK.

Here is the link to RaceFace’s tech site; click on the crank you have for installation instructions; look for trouble shooting section that will help with isolating your trouble; there is a video that explains the same at the site as well. Good Luck.

http://raceface.com/tech/install-inst.htm

I should be studying...
    FatTance is right. Make sure you have the correct number of bottom bracket and spindle spacers in place. You need to be able to tighten that bolt down until there is a hard stop-- you'll know it when you get it--and then they won't loosen. Also, I ended up using the thinner preload spacer.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks, I will try this