Mulleticious

RaceFace crank (Deus XC): OK to use a Shimano BB?

Is it OK to use the Shimano BB (GXP - English threaded cups 68/73mm) for a RaceFace crank (Deus XC - 2010 model)?

I have tried fitting it and the crank seems to fit through the BB and bolt up OK. No excess play. There is a small gap on the non drive side between BB cup and crank arm but only about 1.5mm.

It looks like it should work... anyone know whether this is technically OK?

ups and downs
    Shimano BB is not GXP, that's a SRAM/Truvativ only thing, the Shimano and Race Face external BB's are interchangeable, and for the longest time the XTR external BB was much better sealed than the Race Face, but they have brought up their game so the current RF BB's are almost as light and well sealed as the XTR.

Bottom line, Shimano/Race Face external BB's can be used with Race Face/Shimano cranks.

Race Face cranks are shipped with two 1mm thick black rubber covered spacers to adjust the chainline between 49-51mm, depending which side you put the 1mm spacers on. If you're missing those black spacers then there will be sideplay in the RF cranks.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Shimano BB is not GXP, that's a SRAM/Truvativ only thing, the Shimano and Race Face external BB's are interchangeable, and for the longest time the XTR external BB was much better sealed than the Race Face, but they have brought up their game so the current RF BB's are almost as light and well sealed as the XTR.

Bottom line, Shimano/Race Face external BB's can be used with Race Face/Shimano cranks.

Race Face cranks are shipped with two 1mm thick black rubber covered spacers to adjust the chainline between 49-51mm, depending which side you put the 1mm spacers on. If you're missing those black spacers then there will be sideplay in the RF cranks.
    Rocky - this is really helpful. This forum is great for learning - thanks to people like you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In a somewhat similar vein, I recently replaced an FSA Afterburner crankset with a RaceFace Turbine crankset. I was able to use the FSA Mega-exo BB for the Turbine crankset so I now have the RaceFace BB as a spare on the parts shelf. Those 1-mm spacers are a little tough to get off the crank spindle to do the chainline adjustment but it is a nice feature.