mtbr member

Raceface BB cups allways loose???

Anybody else have any issues with this happening? The arms are allways tight but it's a monthly necessity for me to pull the cranks and BB clean relube and reinstall the cups. I was told to try Marine grease among others to no avail.

mtbr member
    Are you torqing to specs? If so try one of the following:
    1)Teflon Tape
    2) Loctite (If you are worried of not being able to remove the cups try a Med strength version first)

Teflon Tape seems to work very well in most situations, however, in cases where the cup ALWAYS backs off I will use loctite

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah the same thing happened with my RaceFace bottom bracket. So what I did is I bought a new crankset (External bearing Shimano XT), and a new bottom bracket to put the old cranks on my commuter.

Definately try the loctite suggestion. Use the med strength colour.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Anybody else have any issues with this happening? The arms are allways tight but it's a monthly necessity for me to pull the cranks and BB clean relube and reinstall the cups. I was told to try Marine grease among others to no avail.
    How loose? Maybe one-half or one-quarter turn?

My son and I had this issue with Race Face (Evolve DH?) BB. The cause was our installation procedure. We were torquing (Snap-on dial indicator type torque wrench) the "wrong" side first. We found the instruction sheet unclear, and perhaps even incorrect, for the BB in the box.

After changing our torque sequence no more problem - at all.

I know this message lacks specifics, like which is the "wrong" side. If you need more help I'll try to post a better explanation.

Best wishes,
    Terry
    Last edited by elder_mtber; 02-24-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Chrome Toaster
    First question. Are you using a torque wrench and verifying they are at the correct tigfhtening? When dealing with cranks, many times what seems tight is a long ways of from the actual strength required to keep them in place.

mtbr member
    Race Face, Truvativ, and FSA all seem to use 35 ft-lbs as the maximum torque for the BB. However, Shimano states 50 ft-lbs as the maximum torque for the BB, which is what I go up to. I have never had a BB come loose even in a few frames where the BB was kind of loose to the threads of the BB shell.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.