Trail Ninja

Race Face X-type BB making terrible grinding noise

I'm pretty sure my Race Face X type BB is shot. It's making a rough grinding sound when spinning with the chain removed. This is not the first Race Face BB that has died on me. Their bearings seem to be crap.

What would be the best value in replacing this BB? I'm thinking just getting a XT M770 HollowTech II BB for $30 or so, since I hear my Atlas AM cranks should be compatible with it and I trust Shimano quality. What other options do I have? Not really interested in high end stuff like Enduro, Hope, Chris King, ceramic bearings, etc. I just need something that would last maybe 5 years.

dirtbag
    Yup, the RF BB's are junk, even with the Phil Wood grease that they say they come with.

Either get a Shimano BB or spend the money for one of the quality BBs you mentioned. Spread the cost over 5 years and it's a bargain compared to having to replace sooner with junky BBs.
    Amolan

Stiff yet compliant
    The best value would be re-using your old cups and replacing the bearings with Enduros.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm new here and the forum won't let me makes posts, so I figured I'd ask here since it sounds like it could be the same thing. I just got a new motobecane 29er, it has a "SRAM PG-1050 CASSETTE 10SP 11-36, 10 Speed" and "Vuleta XRP PRO" rims. When I'm peddling it's smooth/quiet, but when I'm coasting it seems pretty loud. I took the wheel off and when I spin the cassette it seems abnormally loud. It's almost like it's kind of grinding. I took a 2002 Trek Fuel's back wheel off and spun the cassette and it's not nearly as loud. (and doesn't seem to have any grinding noises)

So far, I've ridden it 11 miles. I read somewhere that the cassette will get quieter as it "ages". Is this true? or is it bad? I'd rather not have to open the cassette up already since it's only a few days old. (and grease it)

Thanks, NIck

Trail Ninja
    You'd need to get that looked at by someone experienced in person. Hard to diagnose a sound over the internet unless you got a recording of it that's clear enough.

All I can say is, freehub ratcheting sounds different between different brands of hubs. Example: Hope hubs and Crank Bros wheels are loud. Shimanos are fairly quiet.

‪Hub sound comparison‬‏ - YouTube

Cassettes won't get noticeable quieter after "breaking in". Aging... maybe aged through many many miles where they are are worn out and rounded maybe it'll get quieter, but I can't imagine that happening within 10,000 miles or 5-10 years.

Regarding the Enduro bearings... got a link to some place selling 'em? I'm almost sold on getting a M770 for $27+ tax from Jenson (price match).

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Regarding the Enduro bearings... got a link to some place selling 'em? I'm almost sold on getting a M770 for $27+ tax from Jenson (price match).
    BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FOR HOLLOWTECH 2 AND X-TYPE CRANKSET
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Trail Ninja
    Thanks for the link. Didn't think to look there, though I've been to that site a few times before to browse. Price + shipping of the steel bearings is only a little cheaper than buying the M770 from Jenson, but I'm fairly interested in this method. +rep

Damn. The proper tool to do the removal and replacement is $120. I guess I'll play with the bad RaceFace BB to see if I can remove the bearings and reinstall 'em without it before I go this route or just get the M770.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 08-05-2011 at 10:24 PM.

ups and downs
    I've actually had a great luck with the XTR 970 series BB, my oldest one dates back to April 2007 on my high mileage bike, riding in the temperate rain forest. They're right around $40
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Stiff yet compliant
    I have installed several sets of Enduro bearings using sockets to press out the old and in the new. They have lasted longer than any Race face, Shimano or FSA bearing I have tried so far.

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider View Post
    The best value would be re-using your old cups and replacing the bearings with Enduros.
    +1 I did that and the BB has been great.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Hmm, rainy whistler killed my Enduro BB bearing 3 days after installation. I chalked it up as extreme conditions as the other two sets I have installed have been holding up well.
    Whats this line for?