mtbr member

Race Face VS Shimano chainrings

I just recently went 2x9 on my all-mt. machine with a new purchase of a Race Face bashring. I have always used Shimano LX or XT chain rings but my last pair only got about 8mths of use on them due to missing and bent teeth. I am considering the Race Face replacement rings in a 34T and 24T due to looking a bit stronger.

Can anybody give a comparison of the two? Also, will I notice a big difference or slightly subtle difference going from a 32/22T set-up to a 34/24T in shifting performance and torque output?

Thanks, jon.

mtbr member

chainrings?

Quote Originally Posted by jgusta
    I just recently went 2x9 on my all-mt. machine with a new purchase of a Race Face bashring. I have always used Shimano LX or XT chain rings but my last pair only got about 8mths of use on them due to missing and bent teeth. I am considering the Race Face replacement rings in a 34T and 24T due to looking a bit stronger.

Can anybody give a comparison of the two? Also, will I notice a big difference or slightly subtle difference going from a 32/22T set-up to a 34/24T in shifting performance and torque output?

Thanks, jon.
    Any feedback on these rings?

Thanks, jon.

Do It Yourself
    Any feedback on these rings?

Thanks, jon.
    I burned through a 34T RF ring in about 2-3 months. They cost too much to replace that often. I opted for a Salsa 34T this time. I just put it on last week so I don't know about the longer term. But in the short term the Salsa was about $20, MUCH less than RF. The Salsa I got doesn't have pins and ramps but I don't shift down to granny much anyway.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    I'd go with the deore level rings, they are steel, so you'll get lots more life outta them, and they are pretty cheap.
    check aebike or bikeman for prices.

Thanks, jon.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    I'd go with the deore level rings, they are steel, so you'll get lots more life outta them, and they are pretty cheap.
    check aebike or bikeman for prices.
    That would be nice but they don't have a 34T.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member

chainring sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    That sucks about the RF rings, since they look stronger than the Shimano and I have a pair ordered. Is there going to be a noticeable difference in riding going from a 22/32T to a 24/34T?

Thanks, jon.

Do It Yourself
    Is there going to be a noticeable difference in riding going from a 22/32T to a 24/34T?
    You betcha. I've been riding the 34T middle ring on XTR for many years. I don't really use the granny much locally so that's not a big factor for me. But the middle ring is very noticeable. At least for me, I prefer a bit higher gear range. But I'm still using 8 speed too. It's all in what you're used to though.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    thanks for the correction, I'd forgot about that important tidbit of a lack of a 34. What's up with that, they've got a 36 & 32 but no 34? the conspiracy theorist in me is not happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

banned
    In my experience, Race Face and Blackspire rings are the best rings out there. Both last longer than Shimano IME.

Though the suggestion to consider decent steel rings is sensible. Steel is the better material for rings. I'd love to have a choice of relatively lightweight cro-mo steel rings.
    Last edited by kronik; 05-24-2005 at 07:51 AM.